Replacing the manual steering gear box 1978 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to swap out my manual steering gear box with a rebuilt one. Is it just a bolt off / bolt on situation? Or do I have to mess with detaching the entire steering column ? Not know, I am wondering if I unbolt at the rag joint and then there are 4 bolts that attach it to the frame ? But not sure if there is then play to remove it ? If I have to mess with steering column I am just going to have it done when I go to have the alignment checked ( I have an April appt at K&H in LA )

I am looking to swap out my manual steering gear box with a rebuilt one. Is it just a bolt off / bolt on situation? Or do I have to mess with detaching the entire steering column ? Not know, I am wondering if I unbolt at the rag joint and then there are 4 bolts that attach it to the frame ? But not sure if there is then play to remove it ? If I have to mess with steering column I am just going to have it done when I go to have the alignment checked ( I have an April appt at K&H in LA )
Steering column isn’t hard to pull. The pitman arm can put up a fight. Are you going through the entire steering system? It’s well worth it to do upper drag link, TREs, center arm and knuckles.

I am going to let the mechanic do the more technical stuff... I’m not that skilled , just want to replace the steering box if it’s easy

Still wondering if anyone else has changed out just the steering box and was it just an unbolt / bolt easy switch ?

Not fully familiar with your 78 but on my 73, its just removing the connection at the rag joint and the 4 box mounting bolts, after you disconnect from the pitman arm of course.

Remove cotter pin, use wide screw driver to back out the end of the drag link then pop it off the pitman arm. Not too difficult. You may have trouble removing the pitman arm from the box , they can be hard to get off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom