Replacing the fluid, in a 70 Series (BJ73) Power Steering unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'Day Folks,
It has been a while, since I posted anything here.

I have had a very slight oil leak, from the power steering pump, on my BJ73-MWB, for a while now.
I recently replaced the "O" Ring, that was responsible for this leak, and all was fine .............. well, almost.
In the process of doing this job, I noticed how dirty the power steering fluid was.
So I looked up how to undertake replacing the power steering (PS) fluid on You Tube, and went from there.
The link I found of You Tube, appears to be universal, in that what it suggested, also works on my "Battle Cruiser".
FYI;
Basically, you need to identify the return line on the PS reservoir (see my finger pointing to this, in the attached image), and remove the hose clamp, and then the hose from this.
But before you remove this, you will need to make up a Plug, that will fit over the steel pipe on the reservoir, to stop PS fluid from leaking out.
I also used a 3/8" barbed elbow, to fit into the return line hose, and about 2 feet of clear 3/8" hose, that I ran to an empty pastic container (2 litres/ or 1/2 Gallon).
I then jacked up the front of the Battle Cruiser, so the front wheels were off the ground.
With the steering lock in the ignition Unlocked (but without the engine running), I then proceed to turn the steering wheel, from Lock to Lock.
This had the effect of pumping the old PS fluid from the resevoir, via the clear plastic hose, to plastic container.
Every two full cycles of the Lock to Lock, I topped up the resevoir with new PS fluid.
In total, it took about 15 Lock to Lock cycles, before the new PS fluid, started to come thru, nice and clean.
I hope the attached images, help to explain this better.

Best regards
Homer

DSCN5327.JPG

DSCN5326.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom