Replacing Steering Rack....question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replacing my steering rack and have come to the point of removing the steering shaft linkage. The yoke at the end that attaches to the splined shaft on the steering rack is now loose and moving freely...BUT I don't seem to be able to collapse the intermediate shaft in order to get the shaft off of the rack.

Question: Am I right to assume the intermediate shaft (the part with the bellows) is a 'slip yoke' (extends and collapses) to accommodate this? I have tapped on the yoke at the end with a punch in a effort to move the shaft upward (toward the firewall) but it seems very rigid and hasn't yet moved.

Thank You in advance,

Flint.

intermediate.jpg

The shaft on my '04 did not telescope. I had to remove the two bolts from 45219 in that diagram and slide it down the shaft then remove the entire shaft.

That shaft doesn’t telescope. To help separate the shaft from the steering rack you can loosen the rack mount bolts and slide the rack forward. The shafts will stay put and the rack moves forward. This is also the technique to properly align the splines and center the steering wheel at the very end of the process

Last edited:
That shaft doesn’t telescope. To help separate the shaft from the steering rack you can loosen the rack mount bolts and slide the rack forward. The shafts will stay put and the rack moves forward. This is also the technique to properly align the splines and center the steering wheel at the very end of the process

Had tried that earlier before tapping on the shaft thinking it must telescope. I don't see the point in the bellows on the intermediate shaft if it is a solid unit? Seems strange. My steering rack is hitting the framework under there before it moves far enough toward the front of the vehicle to disengage the splines, BUT if this is the accepted method....I will try it again and see what I am doing wrong.

Thanks guys.

OK, so the little bolt has to come ALL the way out or the yoke will NOT come off because there is a groove in the splined shaft that the bolt fits in (holding the yoke in place). Got that done.

So....now, where in the heck is this steering rack supposed to come out? We need an OTRAMM video on this.

It sure as heck doesn't look it is going to come out the driver's side frame (where the tie rod end exits).

Remove SR1.jpg

So that would leave trying to fanangle it out the front of the frame, but it won't move far enough toward the passenger side to allow that, doesn't look like. For some reason I thought this would be more intuitive that has proven to be (for me).

Remove SR2.jpg

:popcorn:

Watching and learning from your learning since I havent done this yet.

May be Force be with you

Have you lifted the engine up a bit? If the DS rack end is as short as possible you should be able to finagle it out. This is the most difficult part, you got it.

Also, you’ll need to remove the tie rod ends.

Hopefully not need to lift the engine....but will if I have to. I am doing other work, so upper and lower control arms are off, steering knuckle, oil cooler (entire thing) removed. So tie rod ends need to come off then turn rack so that drivers side inner end is a short as possible then force the rack toward the passenger side and wiggle the rack out (the front) as pictured below? (not my vehicle)

remove steering rack_a.jpg

I remember loostening the fan shroud, then raising the engine with the left engine mount loose. I twisted and finagled it out through the front.

1600646330630.png

I tied the steering wheel in the center position with a rope around the driver seat. Then when I reinstalled the rack, I just centered the distance between each tie rod end connected it back to the steering shaft. It was very close to being centered when I got it all back together.

Once I got the rack and all out of the way, I figured it would be a good time to clean up and replace the o-ring and 8-ring on the oil cooler and replace the oil cooler hoses.

1600646934663.png

1600646977315.png

Once I had everything out of the way, I removed and cleaned the front crankshaft position sensor.

1600647358408.png

Hopefully not need to lift the engine....but will if I have to. I am doing other work, so upper and lower control arms are off, steering knuckle, oil cooler (entire thing) removed. So tie rod ends need to come off then turn rack so that drivers side inner end is a short as possible then force the rack toward the passenger side and wiggle the rack out (the front) as pictured below? (not my vehicle)

View attachment 2441365

As others did, after undoing the fan shroud bolts, I unbolted the driver’s side engine mount and jacked up the engine to provide clearance to remove the rack. Be sure to wedge a small 2x4 block between the engine mount space so it can take pressure where you jack it up. I was able to remove the rack and the intermediate shaft together. In the above pic, it looks like the jack is lifting up the driver’s side.

there’s a really good thread with lots of details but sounds like you’re almost there.

Good luck!

As others did, after undoing the fan shroud bolts, I unbolted the driver’s side engine mount and jacked up the engine to provide clearance to remove the rack. Be sure to wedge a small 2x4 block between the engine mount space so it can take pressure where you jack it up. I was able to remove the rack and the intermediate shaft together. In the above pic, it looks like the jack is lifting up the driver’s side.

there’s a really good thread with lots of details but sounds like you’re almost there.

Good luck!

^^^^
Found that thread and it answered all of my questions. Should have read it first before starting. Just didn't want to go through my FSM as many times it will have you doing unnecessary steps and I didn't read up on it here (my mistake) thinking the job would be intuitive once started. So much for that thought, huh?

Should be able to get it now. Thanks to everyone for your help and support.

Flint.

Please post a link of the other thread you used. Thx

Please post a link of the other thread you used. Thx

It's a lot of reading....probably just start at page 5 or so....as most helpful information is later in the thread.

An OTRAMM video (step by step) would be awesome. Maybe someday. His videos are always so clear and well done.

It's a lot of reading....probably just start at page 5 or so....as most helpful information is later in the thread.

An OTRAMM video (step by step) would be awesome. Maybe someday. His videos are always so clear and well done.

Thanks. Bookmarked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom