Replacing speakers in 90 Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at replacing all the speakers, and I want to make sure I didn’t miss any hidden ones. Is my list missing anything:

4 - 2” speakers. One on the lower left and right sides of the dash, and one above each rear sliding window

3 - 6.5” speakers. One on the front driver/passenger side doors and one on the rear right panel

2 - 4” speakers. One on each of the rear driver/passenger side doors.

Anyone have a place where they hide a thin subwoofer and enclosure?

TIA.

Okay. I got all the speakers replaced, and I’ve got a question about the 6.5” speaker in the rear of the vehicle. Was that a factory sub woofer? Is there a separate amp for that? I noticed the speaker wires run into another adaptor. It’s currently the only speaker that’s not having any output.

It depends on which option your 80 was fitted with, but it's a good bet that is a subwoofer; if it was, it had a separate amp.
1667666392410.png

1667666472022.png

Which speakers did you use?

Which speakers did you use?
I used the 6.5” in the front doors, and I bought a second pair because I thought the rear panel speaker was a regular speaker. Looking at your diagram, I see that it was a subwoofer, and I’m guessing the amp is done.

I used the 4” speakers in the rear doors.

Running a Kenwood Excelon deck.

074F3AF9-6A50-466E-B106-DE7A061DBC2B.jpeg

6EF16FE6-223A-4FF9-BE8E-1C07E6AFE561.jpeg

Has anyone managed to fit an 8'' shallow mount sub in that spot? Anyone know of any company that makes a custom box to hide the sub somewhere else?

The kicker hideaway and similar subs fit under the driver seat (and also in the stock sub location). They aren't high output, but they take up very little room.

While Hog Tech made a bracket for an 8" woofer and a mono amplifier. People complain that they can't order them for whatever reason:

@tntdonyute is considering production of a copy of the Whole Hog bracket:

This is probably the best 'concealed' subwoofer mounting I've seen on here, but may be more work than you're interested in:

While Hog Tech made a bracket for an 8" woofer and a mono amplifier. People complain that they can't order them for whatever reason:

@tntdonyute is considering production of a copy of the Whole Hog bracket:

This is probably the best 'concealed' subwoofer mounting I've seen on here, but may be more work than you're interested in:

Thanks for the link to all these. I will try and be better about using the search function on this site. After looking at these threads, and some others, I went ahead and ordered a 10" shallow mount subwoofer and amp. Going to try and squeeze it in there (with some fabrication) once it arrives.

@vmiaptetr
Have you made any progress with the shallow sub? I currently have a rectangular dual 6.5" setup...I like the sound but don't like how much floor space it takes up.

@vmiaptetr
Have you made any progress with the shallow sub? I currently have a rectangular dual 6.5" setup...I like the sound but don't like how much floor space it takes up.
Well, my first issue was that I have rear AC, and the AC system is hidden behind the panel that also holds the small subwoofer. I ended up getting a 10” shallow mount sub, did some cutting on the other opposite side, and installed it there. Made my own mounting bracket with an old, steel baking sheet out of my kitchen.

2DCE00BD-0CEA-40CB-AF45-5DF218060677.jpeg

C07322C9-9B8A-4338-92D9-ABA87CD89E03.jpeg

D0D27804-D3B0-48F2-9B51-F5A1677CC642.jpeg

The kicker hideaway and similar subs fit under the driver seat (and also in the stock sub location). They aren't high output, but they take up very little room.
Did you used the factory subwoofer amp wiring for Kicker hideaway?

Did you used the factory subwoofer amp wiring for Kicker hideaway?
Yes. I ran separate wiring for the power direct from the battery, but spliced into the factory sub harness for the audio and remote/trigger wire.

Here is how the harness is wired:

Wire Color - Function
Red - RR Input+
Black - LR Input +
Red/Black - Remote Turn On
Green/Black - Sub +
White - RR Input -
Yellow - LR Input -
White/Black - Ground
Gray - 12+ ACC
Green/Red - Sub-

Users who are viewing this thread