Replacing Side Mirrors 1990 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

Wondering if anyone can direct me to a specific guide to replacing just the side mirrors on my 1990 FJ62. Motor works great, nothing is wrong with the housing but the mirror itself broke and has detached from the two clips that drive the motorized action. I secured a replacement but can't get the thing back in there (in fact I snapped the replacement mirror trying to put it in). Before I try again, has anyone replaced just the mirror and what am I missing?

I've got a broken mirror in the shop, seems as tho the plastic is getting brittle, not sure on how to disassemble without breakage.
easier to replace the entire unit if you have it, 2 screws and a wire connection.

Hey All,

Wondering if anyone can direct me to a specific guide to replacing just the side mirrors on my 1990 FJ62. Motor works great, nothing is wrong with the housing but the mirror itself broke and has detached from the two clips that drive the motorized action. I secured a replacement but can't get the thing back in there (in fact I snapped the replacement mirror trying to put it in). Before I try again, has anyone replaced just the mirror and what am I missing?
I've got a broken mirror in the shop, seems as tho the plastic is getting brittle, not sure on how to disassemble without breakage.
easier to replace the entire unit if you have it, 2 screws and a wire connection.

I had the same problem with the mechanism to motor breaking. As part of my restoration I went with the reproductions at Cruiser Corps. I can tell they are not as heavy as the OEM, but they look and work great. Very quiet motor, too. FWIW

I had the same problem with the mechanism to motor breaking. As part of my restoration I went with the reproductions at Cruiser Corps. I can tell they are not as heavy as the OEM, but they look and work great. Very quiet motor, too. FWIW
We spent quite a bit of time with the design and production of these mirrors. There was a clear gap missing on finding a good replacement.

The only thing on the market that was aftermarket were manual and not that great at that.

Thank you for the kind words. We tried our best to make these as close to OE specs and plug and play.

Mike

I'm thinking I may end up buying a new one and just painting it to match. (The previous owner sprayed the housing of both mirrors with black Rhino Liner) . It seem I'm stuck getting a new one and spraying it or completely replacing.

If anyone has a solution for those just replacing the glass I'm all ears.

Thanks all!

If you have 20 to 30 year old 62 Toyota mirrors. The plastic behind the glass is worn and you will have wobble eventually especially on Driver side. There are several threads on what is best mirror and I say for 60 or 62 the Euro spec or factory 62 mirrors work great. I have on my wish list the Euro spec. Currently using an old set of rattle canned black, 62 mirrors which the DS has started to wobble on the highway. They were only $75 shipped. But I needed something to help when I towed my trailer. 60 mirrors stink for towing.

a small "nerf" type ball behind the glass will take a lot of the wobble out.
X2 on being old and worn, my WAG on the driver side being more loose, is it is the door that gets open and closed the most.
The OP should probably spring for both and then he wouldn't have to paint them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom