1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing Shocks

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by 410225, Mar 8, 2004.

1. 410225

I am planning on changing all 4 shocks on my cruiser and I looked through the FSM. It shows the SST to hold the shock from spinning when taking off and putting back on. If I do not have the SST, what will be alternative to use to hold the shock being spinning when unbolting or bolting the shock itself?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Rogue

Rogue

Use a strap wrench. If you don't care about the shocks that you will be removing a pipe wrench will work even better.

3. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

I used a pair of vise grips on the top of the shock and a 19 mm box end wrench on the top side. it worked pretty well. there is proabably lock tite on the top side nusts so use a crack torch to heat it up and they will come off a bit easier.
    Dave

4. 410225

First time changing shocks. Is it pretty straight forward job or do I need to pay attention on certain things?

5. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

the fronts are really straight forward. the rears are a bit trickier. first remove the lowre mount on the rears and then look up and you will see tow bolts on a bracket holidng the top of the shock. remove the bolts and it wil fall on you. to re install mount the shock on the bracket and tighten it down. then place it back in and just start the two upper bolts maybe thread in 1/4" then you will likely have to convicne the lower mount to lign up and go. some silicone sray on the lower stud will help things there. once the lower stud is in and threaded go ahead and do the top ones. fi memory serves the slotted side goes to the outside but not sure on that pay attention when you pull it off.
    Dave

6. Beowulf

Beowulf

Adrian,
    The top nut on the left front shock can be a pain. If you've got a rattle gun then you can use a medium deep flex impact socket (17mm) to remove it. If you're using hand tools then be careful not to break the plastic cap on the coil wire; best to remove it before you get to flailing away in there.

The lower shock bolts in the rear are prone to freezing up. Do yourself a BIG favor and soak them profusely with PB Blaster or the Toyota equivalent (can't remember the name.) Some have suggested using Kroil but I've never tried it. Soak them for several days before you get in there and take care not to break one or you're in for a long day.

Use anti-sieze on those 2 lower rear shock bolts when reinstalling.

-B-

7. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

forgot to warn you about the rear lowers. my bad. my truck is a 92 so the left side required I use the hand tools due to brake master placement. the rt side came off with the impact gun.
    Dave

8. Beowulf

Beowulf

The 93-97 have the same issue with the brake master. It takes a semi-deep swivel to use the impact. A deep is too long and a standard socket won't get down on the nut because of the shock pin.
    -B-

9. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Do exercise caution around the brake master. If your air tool (or breaker bar for that matter) gets away from you, you can damage the brake master.