Replacing Shocks at 120k question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2004 LC has about 120k miles and the rear end really drops when any type of trailer is attached.

I do a lot of pheasant hunting in remote areas and want to get ahead of any potential problems, and thought it might be a good idea to replace the shocks all around.

With all this in mind would you folks recommend replacing the shocks all around (OEM) and springs in the rear?

My thought is that time could wear on them as much as miles... or is that wrong?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

If your shocks are the originals, then it's probably time to replace them and OEM are great and cheap. However, replacing the shocks isn't going to fix your issue of sagging when you hook up a trailer. For that issue you could add airbags to your OEM rear springs (cheap and effective), or replace your springs with higher spring rate aftermarket ones.

Shocks do not hold up the vehicle - that would be a strut. Land Cruisers do not have struts.

As others have said, air bags are the general trailer solution. If you tow non-stop, perhaps strong springs would be good, but airbags are the first simple step.

Shocks control the recoil characteristic of the coil spring, but the rear coil spring is the one responsible carrying the weight of your LC plus the trailer in the back. There are many aftermarket coil spring options that has higher load capacity (Ironman, Old Man Emu, Tough Dog, Kings, etc).

I would just get new OEM shocks and see if that settles the ride. You need them anyways, at 120k I would be doing all four corners to keep the handling characteristics balanced. OEM are cheap and very good quality.

While you're doing that like others have said you have quite a few options from a heavier load spring to airbags to new OEM springs.

See if at all possible that it's also your trailer balancing. If you can flatten the trailer out with a different hitch and shift some load back on the axle to balance tongue weight that might do a lot of good. Tongue weight shouldn't be excessive, I find around 150 lbs seems to handle well.

I was in a similar spot with mine. I put new OEM shocks all around and also added ARB 2860 rear springs. Fixed me right up.

I was in a similar spot with mine. I put new OEM shocks all around and also added ARB 2860 rear springs. Fixed me right up.
I too got oem shocks. Ride comfort is excellent woth all oem springs. Each shock was like $30 from the dealer. Try getting the seasonal discount of 15% and free shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom