Replacing rotors '79 FJ 55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mtpickettwoodworking.com
I have bought new rotors, calipers and pads for my '79 FJ 55. I have now stripped off the old calipers and ready to dig in. Rig has 195,000 on it, never apart. What gaskets/seals etc do I want to buy before I start in. I bought it when it was seven years old and 80,000 miles. Did rebuilt calipers 25 years ago. Later the EX drove it metal to metal, rotors thin, but it is back in my possesion now.

Since the hubs have to come off the spindles to remove the rotors would plan on going thru the front wheel bearings at the very least. Once apart would go from there but a hub seal should be replaced. Unless you know there good would go the knuckles too.

Years ago while going thru a divorce my soon to be ex was driving my 68. When it was done I was able to get my cruiser back. First thing I did was change the oil. What came out of the pan looked like gray water with babbitts mixed in. What I rebuilt the engine I haven't have to rear it down again. This was in the mid eighties.

Well I hate to say it but if I were replacing rotors I’d go ahead and consider doing the full front knuckle rebuild. You’ll be about 1/3 of the way there anyway. I did my rebuild last year and got all the bearings and seals I needed from Cruiser Outfitters.

I second doing a front knuckle overhaul. Knuckle bearings don’t last 200k...not even Koyos.

And there are lots of sources for rebuild kits. ;)

Did you open the rotor boxes yet and confirm they are a match? An amazing number of supply houses ship the later 8-hole rotors when a ‘79 would take the 6-hole. Of course if you went OE, there shouldn’t be a problem.

Ok, thanks guys. This 55 was never wheeled. Other than a few shenanigans my kids pulled in high school it was only in 4 wheel when it snowed, which in Western Washington is pretty rare. Are the knuckles in play when the hubs are on 'free'? Probably a dumb question, but I'm coming from 40 years of old 2wd ford truck axles with king pins.

Knuckles are in play when you steer...and even when you don’t!

Thanks 65. I get it now. Was confused about the terminology. I'm a kingpinned man in a 4x4 knuckle world. I bought a FSM for this '79 many years ago. I have come across it many times while looking for other literature, but can't find it now. I have an old Haynes which does not go deep into front axle. Is there a thread here or a youtube entry that covers this?

I’m sure there are. Probably best to start in the FAQ. 😉

I started in with youtube. Pretty straight forward shade tree mechanic stuff. And I checked my rotors they are 6 bolt. just like what I'm removing. Thanks for the good advice. I'll order parts tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom