Replacing rear main seal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I needed to replace my throw-out bearing, so I thought while I had the pig apart, I'd resurface the flywheel, install a new clutch, etc. I also purchased a new rear main seal since I'm into it this deep already.

So my question is - is there any trick to getting the old seal out & installing the new one? I've loosened the two bolts that are on the outsides of the seal, but the seal doesn't seem any looser. Do I need to also loosen the oil pan bolts at the rear on the engine? I don't want to rip the seal out (which isn't leaking, but I'm doing this as preventive maintenance), only to not be able to get the new one in!

No need to loosen bolts to pull the seal. Drive a screwdriver through the old seal or hook a dental pick behind it and yank/pry it out. Just be careful not to mark the seal surface with whatever tools you use.

Don't be afraind to destroy your old seal, but be carefully installing one. Naturally, for a such a fast moving part, the seal is very tight fitting. I don't like messing with loosenling bolts like that unless necessary. If too rushed, you can tear the outside of it(don't ask me how I found out). Toyota sells a SST for it, I just used a piece of wood and a rubber mallet, working very slowly in a circle a few times.

On one stubborn 2F, I had to drop the oil pan and loosen the four bearing cap bolts a hair to get a new seal it. It was always just too tight, and I kept tearing seals. But on several others, it just tapped right in (with patience).

Definitely only loosen main caps as a last resort, don't want to compromise that bearing surface, once those break in after a rebuild they should never be messed with until the next rebuild. It could easily lead to premature failure and that'll cost a lot more than a seal.

My opinion.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies.

Last night when I got home from work, I pulled the old one out ... and messed the new one up during the install. (It was dark outside, and when I finished putting it in, it looked like there was a small spot of greese on one edge. When I attempted to wipe it off, I found out it was 1/4 inch long x 1/8 inch portion of the rubber outter lip.) That's what I get for trying to hurry! So this morning I ordered a new one from SOR. Hopefully it will arrive on Saturday.

youngdogs said:
Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies.

Last night when I got home from work, I pulled the old one out ... and messed the new one up during the install. (It was dark outside, and when I finished putting it in, it looked like there was a small spot of greese on one edge. When I attempted to wipe it off, I found out it was 1/4 inch long x 1/8 inch portion of the rubber outter lip.) That's what I get for trying to hurry! So this morning I ordered a new one from SOR. Hopefully it will arrive on Saturday.

That may not be significant. The seals often have a little excess rubber over the outer housing that gets shaved during the install. It's the inner part that does the sealing.

On the install of your next one,

It just takes one little tap at a time, get it set in by hand as far and tight as you can and make sure it's going in square before you ever use the mallet. After that just a tiny tap one side then opposite a few times then round and round, small taps is the key. You prolly figured that out already, just trying to help save you another 40 bucks or so. :beer: Good luck man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom