Replacing OEM Shocks. Big Difference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My OEM shocks are 21 years old and have over 173k miles. It still rides well over larger bumps like speed humps, but when it goes through pot holes or deeper cracks in the road, it feels crashy (shakes everything inside). No leaks at all.

Anyone here recently replace their OEM Shocks and experience a big positive change in ride quality?

I'm just trying to gauge out if it'd be worth it for me to replace since my 100 still rides good 90% of the time.

OEM shocks are super super cheap, it doesn't make sense for them to be that cheap given how expensive everything else is. Very easy to replace too if your truck isn't rusty.

Yea. Still just seeing if it's worth it. I'd be more disappointed if I replaced them and they ride the same than to just keep these old ones on and keep driving if you know what I mean lol

Doesn't completely compare but I just replaced some worn out OME nitros with OEM shocks. You're not going to regret it, as mentioned given the price you really can't go wrong

I just changed all 4 globes on my 2006 with 85k miles and the ride is still terrible, exactly as you described it. Not bouncy but is super rattly on every slight bump and road texture. I really don't want to keep throwing money at the AHC system but I wonder if it's the shocks.

There’s a pretty good chance that at 21 years old, and having traveled 173k miles, your shocks are shot.

From your problem description, I’d also be looking at all of the rubber suspension bushings.

My OEM shocks are 21 years old and have over 173k miles. It still rides well over larger bumps like speed humps, but when it goes through pot holes or deeper cracks in the road, it feels crashy (shakes everything inside). No leaks at all.

Anyone here recently replace their OEM Shocks and experience a big positive change in ride quality?

I'm just trying to gauge out if it'd be worth it for me to replace since my 100 still rides good 90% of the time.
I replaced mine about a 1000 miles ago at 175k. The old ones were OEM but can't say for sure they were original on my 2004. Either way they really really needed to be replaced. Definite improvement in the ride quality, but it isn't like it was some huge magical change. Just a nice improvement. You can tell they are new and they are working correctly. Everything just feels more stable to me now.

I should add that I also installed OME 2860 springs at the same time, so that for sure had an impact on ride quality too.

I'd say go for it, they aren't expensive. If you are replacing them yourself, consider doing THIS to make access to the rear shock nut easier. If you don't do that, be prepared to get frustrated doing it from underneath. I didn't do the hole mod, but probably will whenever I need to do them again.

I just replaced my shocks this weekend. 212k I’m pretty sure they were original. I went with OEM. The fronts were a breeze. The rears were a PITA. The nut and studs were pretty rusty. I used a 22mm flex head wrench with a 19mm wrench locked onto it. The body kept trying to spin and I tried vise grips and a strap wrench to no avail. The shock bodies were rusted and started disintegrating exposing the piston rod. I was finally able to get vise grips clamped on the rod and got the top nut broke free. It was a long painful sweaty process. I also added OME 2866 springs and trail tailor extended sway bar links as well as OEM sway bar bushings. It does seem to ride better and not nearly as jarring. But it’s not Cadillac soft.

@xhifer Your shocks are likely bad. Unless you've replaced bushings, chances are those are bad as well - and there are many. If you care about ride quality, replace the shocks and inspect all the bushings.

If a set of shocks for $200 gives you pause, you're in for an unpleasant surprise over the course of your 100 ownership experience...

I just changed all 4 globes on my 2006 with 85k miles and the ride is still terrible, exactly as you described it. Not bouncy but is super rattly on every slight bump and road texture. I really don't want to keep throwing money at the AHC system but I wonder if it's the shocks.

AHC is a different animal. If you care about making your suspension nice, start a separate thread (or read up on AHC). You can have perfect AHC (or regular suspension) and have a couple bad bushings and get a terrible ride. Pro-tip: AHC shocks are not really "shocks" in the normal sense. They rarely fail in a way that would make the ride harsh. Search elsewhere. Your AHC shocks are probably fine, unless they're hemorrhaging AHC fluid - even then it's probably just the O-ring at the top seal.

To both of you:

Suspension is complicated. Lots of moving parts, lots of seals, bolts, rubber, joints, etc... If any ONE part is bad, the ride can feel terrible. Invest in yourself and learn how to spot the obvious failure points as well as what parts are wear items (shocks, bushings most notably).

You don’t have shocks, you have AHC and therefore hydraulic rams. Techstream is really the only way to correctly diagnose AHC issues.

I had noticeable ride improvement when I replaced my shocks. Over time I’ve also done bushings in the control arms, sway bar links and rear springs. The rear springs were also a major improvement - especially when it’s loaded down with gear.

I already have the new OEM Shocks sitting in the garage for about 6 months. Just looking for motivation to swap them out lol.

I'll do them and report back on how big of a difference it made

I'm guilty. I'm semi-attached to all my vehicles (6) and sometimes this 1 get neglected. BUT, it definitely is the best one to neglect because of how solid it is.

I'll stand here and get ridiculed now

+1. Regular $500-$1k part souq orders is just the LandCruiser life.
Gotta stay under $1k so you don't have to deal with customs ;)
Made that mistake on my first order, whoops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom