Replacing motormounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I put a block of wood under the front part of my oilpan and raise the motor with a floorjack?
I'm replacing the transmission/TC mounts also, should I do the MM first or does it make any difference?
Any and all suggestions welcome...
Thanks,
Ed ???

That usually works fine. Don't raise it too much, just enough to replace the mounts. You didn't say which drivetrain you were working with but just use common sense and it'll be fine.

YMMV

block of wood and a floor jack works great....and you don't need to lift much.

I've got the old round motormounts that appear to have a bolt that goes clear through. The new ones are square and have a stud on one side and a threaded hole on the opposite side, so I'm going to have to either remove the bracket from the engine or lift it high enough to clear the thickness of the mount and the length of the stud. The rear mounts are donut style, do you replace the bolt or use the same one? Seems like reusing it should pose not kind of problem.
Thanks,
Ed :doh:

WHen I did mine I just re-used the bolts, no problem there. Also you can lift the engine high enough to clear the mounts. You shouldn't have to remove them. But if you do, remove the ones from the bellhousing, they are easy to get to.

Ah ha...
I actually get to use my headaches to help another cruiserhead...
My engine sat on that lift and block of wood for a week until I got new bolts.

The old-round mounts use M12x1.5 bolts where as the new and improved square mounts use M12x1.25. You'll need two bolts (25-20mm long) and 2 nuts.
Make sure that get grade 8 and you're good to go.
Happy wrenching,
Brog

Hey Brog! Timely post! Just figgered that out when I tried to reuse the coarse thread (1.50) bolts. It is resting on the floor jack and I'm headed to the hardware store tomorrow.
Both the fronts are at least in place now, are the rears a bitch? They look easier, really. Truth will tell tomorrow.
Ed :)

[quote author=Degnol link=board=1;threadid=10010;start=msg90115#msg90115 date=1074056522]
Hey Brog! Timely post! Just figgered that out when I tried to reuse the coarse thread (1.50) bolts. It is resting on the floor jack and I'm headed to the hardware store tomorrow.
Both the fronts are at least in place now, are the rears a bitch? They look easier, really. Truth will tell tomorrow.
Ed :)
[/quote]

They really are not that big of a deal. I have found on some trucks that the bolts for the rear engine mounts have been worn and needed replacing, which was no big deal, just may delay things, or make you do it again later after you get the correct fastener.

Good luck!

-Steve

The rear is not too bad either.
You're lucky if you found the 1.25mm threads at a hardware store.
I had to call up a local fastener company.
Brog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom