Replacing motor mount insulator advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevin in okinawa

SILVER Star
Threads
Sure enough when I put a pry bar to this rubber I see a separation so it’s coming out! Eventually? I’ve got a small floor jack with blocks snug up to the bell housing. Ready to jack up. Not the oil pan. I’ve got the other side loosened up, removed the/ transmission cross member bolts.
On the actual block bracket, the bottom 2 bolts are out, but these
rub up against the actual insulator too much for them to come out clean it seems. Don’t they need to for me to
Be able to remove the insulator?

Do I need to unbolt the fan shroud?
12ht, 1989 hj61, rhd

6BFDD351-03FC-4811-82C3-922AFB7AFE07.jpeg

What I did on my 40 was jack the motor up enough to get a sazall between the motor mount and the motor cut the stud/bolt off on top and bottom and slide the old motor mount out. On the new mount I then ground down the stud drilled a hole all the way through the motor mount reinstalled it with one bolt that went all the way up through with the nut on top. It will not break again.

Got a legit 3-ton jack and eventually did get it out. Yes, those two top bolts needed to come out first lol.
The rubber was not trashed like some I’ve seen but was separated on the outside edge pretty good. I hope it goes back together with the new insulator okay. 🤙😎🔨🚗

Made lots of progress today! All that’s left is to button up the crossover pipe and pray 🙏🏻 mightily for no leaks when I test it. The new insulator went in way easier than I had prepared for. I did customize a 17mm wrench so I could get just enough turn on the block bracket bolt to justify not removing the turbo oil line, and carpentered a just long enough 2x4 lever to help line up the block bracket and the block; just like butter it lined up, in went the bolts, and the rest of reassembly!👍😁 is almost finished.
🙏🏻 praying for no leaks when I test it. 🤓🔨

3C05FBED-2C62-4F6B-9F5A-22B754558336.jpeg

well, yesterday the test went okay...my butt-dyno tells me the truck "feels" tighter with the new engine mount, but didn't totally solve the problem of the fan still rubbing on the shroud. That hurt as it was a major pain replacing that insulator, lol. Went back into the shop to poke at stuff and eventually figured it out! That's really the best sensation in the wrenching world...when you figure out the "why" of a problem...AND realize that you can engineer a solution with parts available :) . Two years ago when I was rebuilding the radiator support bracketry I marveled at my ingenuity, but there appears to have been a slight geometric miscalculation. The placement of the left-side radiator bracket was a little low and brought the shroud too close to the fan. My genius solution was to raise the shroud height on the left side by about a 3/8 of an inch, redrill a few mounting holes in the shroud, and I believe I have fixed it! I'll confirm later today when I can drive it in the big field near the house, but yeah, I think I fixed the problem; instead of 1/8" gap now there is a comfortable 5/8" for the fan blades to whir around in without touching anymore.

Last edited:
That is a great feeling. Congratulations on finding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom