Replacing Intake/ Exhaust gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here we go again...3rd time. Once when 2F engine was professionally rebuilt. 26 miles later it leaked. I replaced it with another NAPA gasket after having the Man-a-Fre header and stock manifold planed. I also used the Copper Hi-Temp RTV by Permatex. I torqued it at 30 lbs. inside to out. Warmed it up and torqued it again. About 5 miles later,it leaked.
So I went and rode my motorcycle a few months,totally flustered at the last 10% of my rebuild.
??? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?! ???
Can someone patiently get me through this? AAAAARGH! :-[

I'd like to hear about your balancing and blueprinting...

Haven't had this problem yet, but I can pass on what I've gathered.
1) Use 2 gaskets for headers if they're not fitting right.
2) Headers require repeated re-torquing especially when new. Keep re-torquing.
3) Plane the head and the manifold together. (your motor's just been put together. I doubt you want to take the head off.)
4) Dry, no sealant can stand up to those temps.
5) Use OEM gaskets

Try two gaskets, with copper rtv on all surfaces. Also, 30lbs sounds low to me. I reefed down on mine.
Use a stethoscope to determine exactly where the leak is first. Make sure you're looking at the right problem.

I just put a 2 piece header and a 2F intake on my late '74 transition motor. Used 2 FelPro gaskets, no smarm. Torqued it to 25 ft/lbs, one warmup, cool then retorqued, drove it 15 minutes, cool, then retorqued, then an hour, ditto. I'll keep retorquing until it does not change. The torque specs for the 2F : 29-36 ft/lbs. The studs are bigger, I believe. Only about 100 miles on it, but so far no leaks.
Is yours a 1 piece? They may be harder to keep from leaking, but many have done it.
GL
Ed :)

IIRC, he has a MAF 6>1, Ed. That correct Iron Pig?

You can torque up to 36 ft-lbs, as mentioned in the other manifold discussion going on elsewhere, on the 2F studs. I would (and DID when I had the MAF 6>1) use 2 (two) OEM gaskets, the Permatex Copper (as you have), and retorque frequently like others have said. This is definitely doable.

Thanks again guys,especially IDave. :beer: You've been trying to talk me through this thing from the start. It is a Man-A-Fre 6 to 1 header,or what's left of one.
Anybody know of a good source for the OEM gasket? I'm a TLCA member,don't they have someone? No Toyota dealers around here.

Call CDan (or PM him). He is generally on the 80s/100s list. He can help you.

Tho I've never done business with him, CDan is the go-to-guy on this board. I've also heard that there is a LC fanatic/partsguy at Molle Toyota in Kansas City, they've got a website, I think it is Molletoyota.com or try a Google Search.
I used FelPro and I think it is about as close to OEM as aftermarket gets. Retorque/retorque/retorque!
GL
Ed

IDave, you crossposting, unorgasmic slut, you!!
;) ;) :flipoff2:
Ed

If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is.

Maybe you're mental, Ed and read my mind?

I'm mental all right! Just ask my wife, but as to reading minds, what with all the racket going on in my own...nah. ;)
Ed

Good advice guys, I am about to replace my gasket as well and also have the Man-a-fre header. I only have the one gasket that came with my CCOT engine gasket kit. Maybe I'll try that and see if I get lucky before trying to get multiple gaskets.

Alstaz, I wouldn't use that gasket.

Alsaz, trust IDave on this one, he has installed two different sets of headers with no leaks. You don't want to go experimenting on this one! FelPro or OEM and TWO, too.
;)
Ed

I was going through the same problem with the man-a-fre header on my 55. I finally traced the problem to the area right between the paired header tubes. where they where welded to the mounting plate the welder made a pass around each tube individualy but not around the assembled pair. This leaves a V shaved notch on the machined weld surface at the top and bottom of the pasired tubes. When I held a new gasket up to the header there was only about a mm of weld overlap on the gasket surface, which apairently couldn't hold up to the pressure. I migged a little filler in and filed it to match the height of the machined surface. This seems to have fixed my problem and I haven't had to touch it since. Simon

[quote author=Degnol link=board=1;threadid=14326;start=msg135225#msg135225 date=1081448819]
Alsaz, trust IDave on this one, he has installed two different sets of headers with no leaks. You don't want to go experimenting on this one! FelPro or OEM and TWO, too.
;)
Ed
[/quote]

So Dave gives good head? :eek:

:flipoff2:

Gotta do this here, since post counts don't count in chat.

[quote author=theo link=board=1;threadid=14326;start=msg135844#msg135844 date=1081522456]
So Dave gives good head? :eek:
[/quote]

Thats your response Dave, :flipoff2:, You can do better than that.

Then Degnol called said " IDave, you crossposting, unorgasmic slut, you!!"

And thats the thanks you get for trying to help, Jeeeezzz!

What can I say? I haven't had my first two cups of coffee yet, either, but I already got Theo this morning.....

And you ain't been got till you been got by IDAVE :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom