Replacing Hood Release Cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can find lots of thread about how to open the hood when the cable's acting up but not how to replace it.

Do I thread it in from inside the cab or go from the engine compartment to under the dash?

The cable was frayed by the latch from the last time I tried to get the hood to shut. It took vice grips on the cable under the dash to get it back open and the cable snapped. I can't see where it ran. Are there any photos showing the routing of the cable?

I think those questions are all for now.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't replaced it but I'd think it would be best to go from Cab to Hood.

You should be able to find the sheathing behind the release and trace from there.

From what I remember when in that area working on wiring I think it stays towards the left side and then goes up higher...

Have fun is all I can say. It's bad enough to remove one, installation is worse. The problem is that wiring harness shares the same grommet. It's tight in there.

I just replaced mine, in my 97 it has its own small opening in that grommet, I went from engine bay to cab. I trimmed the old cable so it was just a 4 ft section of the interior cable with one of the ends attached and threaded it thru from the inside, I then taped the app end of the new one to the end of the one I threaded thru and pulled it into the cab, took slow steady pull for it to pop thru. Works well

The cable I got needs to go through the grommet from the engine side. It came from Toyota but doesn't match what came off the vehicle or what shows up when I google the part. It had a lip and a nut at about where the cable enters the grommet. The nut doesn't seem to adjust.

When I pull the latch to open the hood the cable doesn't spring back. I'm thinking I need to tie the cable down on either side of the nut and order the correct part.

I got the cable replaced. I don't know if I needed to but I removed the metal over the radiator that the cable ran under. It made it easier to route. I also removed the battery and battery box. As well as the foot rest and plastic panel next to the foot rest and removed the brace holding whatever electronic box is under that panel.

Removing everything too more time than actually running the cable and connecting it. Like I said before I had a different cable than is shown as the factory correct part, even though I bought it from Toyota. I was a little scared of shutting the hood and not being able to get it open again. But I finally went for it and the hood release worked.

Can someone show me where the cable connects to the latch? The interior release has slack and the hood won't lock. The lock itself seems to work - it's not stuck. I'm guessing the cable snapped at the lock but I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place.

20230222_101040.jpg
20230222_101120.jpg

Can someone show me where the cable connects to the latch? The interior release has slack and the hood won't lock. The lock itself seems to work - it's not stuck. I'm guessing the cable snapped at the lock but I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place.

Slide the cable sheathing out of the metal path you see in left photo, then shimmy the slack cable out of the lever like you see in the right photo, it'll make sense. Duct tape the hood latch end of the old cable to the cabin lever end of the new cable and pull it through, 10 minute job to replace. Can't remember if there were actually specific ends of the cable, best to double check. Will make more sense looking at the lever while you cycle it.

Hi Gerry, I don’t know where the cable connects to the latch in the engine bay. But it seems like once I find that end I’m basically going to use the existing cable to pull the new cable through the engine bay into the cabin?

Hi Gerry, I don’t know where the cable connects to the latch in the engine bay. But it seems like once I find that end I’m basically going to use the existing cable to pull the new cable through the engine bay into the cabin?

seems like once I find that end I’m basically going to use the existing cable to pull the new cable through the engine bay into the cabin?
Yep, duct tape em together, bit of lubricant sprayed on and it'll go right through. Attaching the new cable at the latch side is a very similar process, there's probably a thread on here somewhere detailing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom