replacing fuel tank

Joined
Oct 15, 2002
Messages
353
Website
www.rockcrawler
71 fj40: i replaced the rusty metal tank with a new poly tank. the hookups are different, so i cut the 90 elbow off the filler and used a radiator hose to make the bend, but it's twisted and isn't quite right. i'm wondering if anyone has found a proper gas hose that fits right. i also used the old sending unit, but it doesn't have a tight seal so there's a gas smell in the cab. any tips would be appreciated.
 
Joined
Oct 11, 2002
Messages
84
Location
Denver, CO
Website
fj40.1978.home.comcast.net
I'm still looking around for a viable alternative for the filler neck. The stock hose is still in good shape, but it is really loose on the new tank's filler neck. For now, I have a full, band-style hose clamp on there...which seems to be holding things together all right.

I used a Dremel to smooth off the top screw holes for the sending unit, as they were pretty jagged. Unfortunately, I still had that lovely gas smell. I went back a month later, roughed up the plastic around the sending unit opening with a sanding disc on my Dremel, and then put some silicone above & below the sending unit gasket. This really cut down on the gas smell, but there is still a little there.

My next step will be to pull all of the brass fittings off of the tank & seal them as well. Although, I've been debating on whether to try teflon tape or just stick with some silicone. I am also going to go through the whole evap seperator setup to make sure that all those lines are correctly tightened up & that the fresh air side of the evap seperator is not plugged up.
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
6,409
Location
Georgia Tech
I had both problems-gas smell and filler neck when I installed my CCOT poly tank.
For the filler neck I bought an adapter sleeve from Napa, slid it on the tank, and then slid the original stock pipe on top of that. Very snug, tightened it up with a good hose clamp and have not had any fume problems since.
In regards to the fuel sender, I first tried the new one with the new gasket, holes didn't match up right at all. Eventually ended up with the old sender, new gasket I think, and just took out the air ratchet and forced it good and tight. No more problems there any more. Could seal it I guess with silicone or something. Not necessary if you get it tight enough.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom