Replacing front crank seal... (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2006 LC w/168K miles...it appears I have a front crank seal leak. I am more than likely going to have a local shop fix it. My question is, if I am going that deep into the motor to replace the seal, should I go ahead and do the timing belt as well (it was last done @ 101K miles)?

make sure it is the crank seal, as it is behind the timing belt cover, behind the timing belt and can't be seen from outside.
but yes, if you are in there it all needs to be removed to do the work, replace it, it's parts only at that point.

Yeah...I originally thought it was the valve covers...so torqued them down (and they were loose)...I had it in for a VA inspection, and had them clean everything and throw some dye in there...I am due to go back in after 100 or so miles and they will let me know where it is. I am hoping it was just residual from the valve cover gaskets.

I had the same issue. Oil coming out of the plastic cover behind balancer and around the tensioner. Not dripping wet, but definitely leaking. So I figured might as well do it all since I was that deep into it. Yep, the crank seal was leaking! Probably went way overboard, haha.

Could be valve cover.

Rule of thumb is, if you're going to change the crank seal, might as well change the WP, TB, and thermostat since you're in there already.

But like everyone else has said, make sure its the crank seal and not a leaking valve cover gasket.

I had the same issue. Oil coming out of the plastic cover behind balancer and around the tensioner. Not dripping wet, but definitely leaking. So I figured might as well do it all since I was that deep into it. Yep, the crank seal was leaking! Probably went way overboard, haha.
At which mileage? is that the original seal failed?

At which mileage? is that the original seal failed?

I'm guessing it was the original. I changed it at about 225,000 miles. Here's the old one and the new one.

IMG_0784.JPG

I'm guessing it was the original. I changed it at about 225,000 miles. Here's the old one and the new one.

View attachment 2393650

Thanks for the reply, I changed mine at the second timing belt change 178k. Hope I'm good for another two more cycles.
Did you change cam seals?

Thanks for the reply, I changed mine at the second timing belt change 178k. Hope I'm good for another two more cycles.
Did you change cam seals?

Yes, did both cam seals. Neither one was leaking or showing any signs of needing to be changed. Doing it over, I would not have changed them. It's just that I had all the parts on hand since I wasn't sure where the oil was coming from, and figured it was all apart . . .

Perhaps I’m a bit overboard, but I’ve always replaced the cam and crank seals every time I’ve done a TB+WP job on Toyota engines. My thought is that for a nominal amount of cash, it’s unlikely that I’ll have to pull it all apart again because of a leaky seal.

EDIT: disregard above - I overlooked OP referring to 2006 MY with VVT-i. Leave the cam seals alone unless they’re leaking...

Last edited:
Do you do the same for VVT-i engine?
Good point...I overlooked the ref to a 2006 MY.

But, no, I would not mess with the cam seals on a VVT-i engine unless they were leaking like a sieve! I’d still replace the crank seal tho 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom