replacing flange on front 3rd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserjunktion

Cruiserjunktion@gmail.com
GOLD Star
Threads
I am swapping a 74 tranny/xfer into my 71. The swap includes dshafts and flanges. Swapped the rear, no problem. While swapping the front flange, I pushed the pinon back into the chunk. Since there is no removable cover on the front pumpkin, how do I fix this?

mel

a strong magnet might do the trick....good luck

Mel,

Where did you get your flanges for the swap? Getting ready to do this myself. Good luck with the pinion recovery....

Brian

bolt third back and lock hubs , turn slowly , one way will suck it in and then jam , the other will try to force it back out but you will prolly need to stick your finger in and kinda wiggle the pinion to get it started if it jam already and make sure you hold it lined up , how far in it go ???? :confused:

Be careful because you probably dropped all the spacers too. I'd do it right and remove the 3rd.

To pull the axles you will need to go into the front axle as far as removing the stub axles or spindles. So in answer to your question, yes, sort of. You will want to ensure you have all the spacers and are able to set the pinion bearing preload right.
It's time to pull out the shop manual.

here is where I am..... wheels, brakes, etc removed.........

next off is the brake caliper bracket. Once that is done what will I need to do next?

also,

besides 3rd member gasket, what else do I need to gather to complete this job?
DSC06718.JPG

I think you can leave the caliper bracket on (though the photo makes it look like the bracket might be welded to the spindle), but you must remove the 8 spindle bolts and take the spindle off. At this point, the birf will hang limply, and you can pull it out a little to clear the diff for removal.

After looking at the photo some more, it looks like maybe your caliper bracket is welded to a plate mounted on top of the spindle (in place of the dust shield that should be there). Anyway, remove the 8 bolts and the spindle (and caliper bracket plate, etc.) will come off and let you pull out the axles a little (or a lot, if you want).

I'd get the gaskets as if you were doing a knuckle rebuild except for the felt one on the back of the knuckle as well as a new pinion seal since you need the seal out to install the spacers (they go behind the bearing. If you find any oil you may as well go all the way and rebuild since you're almost there anyways. Like I said, find ALL the spacers and replace them when you put the pinion back in. It'll mean a new pinion seal too. Install the pinion and spacers and check the preload BEFORE you install the seal. When all is well remove the pinion flange install the seal and put it together for the last time.

I surely would replace the seals in there while you're at it. Oh and the grease. Don't ya love these domino effect jobs. Sorry bro. So you got the 3rd out now right?

While you have everything apart, does everthing else feel tight. Trunnion bearings, hub bearings? Now's the time. ;)

3rds out......

I have a new 3rd gasket and pinon seal.

I ordered a knucle rebuild kit ........ should have all the seals

When holding the long axle, there is alot of play on the birfield. The short one isn't

as bad but gonna rebuild both....

How would you clean out the grease ? Should I clean the entire inside of the axle

housing?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom