Replacing Battery Cables Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This might sound like a stupid question but what the hell I want to make sure I do this right.

I want to replace my battery cables with new cables, but do not know the steps I should take to remove the battery cables completely. I have all the supplies I need to make my own cables, as I said before I just want to make sure I do this right.

Any help would be appreciated.

When disconnectiong battery cables on a negative ground vehicle always remove the negative cable from the battery first. Once you have done that you have "disarmed" the electrical bomb.

If you do not do that any tool you use to deal with positive connections could come into contact with the body, resulting in a short-circuit and a great light show.....:whoops:

Thanks Dan

This is what I got so far

I figured remove both cables from the battery

disconnect the positive cable from the alternator

disconnect the negative cable from the engine block.

When disconncting the postive cable from the alternator do I do anything special?

No, not really, as long as the power source is out of the loop (battery).

Oh, BTW, yer stok gears in yer sig line are 4.10 not 4.11..... ;)

cruiserdan said:
When disconnectiong battery cables on a negative ground vehicle always remove the negative cable from the battery first. Once you have done that you have "disarmed" the electrical bomb.

If you do not do that any tool you use to deal with positive connections could come into contact with the body, resulting in a short-circuit and a great light show.....:whoops:

Hey Dan what if you have dual batteries, do you need to disconnect them both or isolate and move on with only the starting battery. I'd never really pondered the issue till now I'd always just disconnected both to be safe but your reply and knowing you have duals got me thinking.

Dan was single the last time I checked.

-B-

Beowulf said:
Dan was single the last time I checked.

-B-

Damn -B- my bad thought he was dual. :doh:

True, single battery here but I believe all batteries should be disconnected even if they are isolated.

cruiserdan said:
True, single battery here but I believe all batteries should be disconnected even if they are isolated.

Tanx Dan, always what I have done this thread just got me to thinking. Which is always a bad thing IYKWIM. :D

Dan,

What can I replace the fusable link wire with, or is it a bad idea to do so?

new OEM fusable link set, they are cheap.

You should not substitute fuselink wiring. Doing so eliminates the protection provided by the link and whatever poped the link, if not yet repaired, could take out the wiring harness up to and including an electrical fire.

Dan

How much for a new OEM fusable link set?

RavenTai said:
new OEM fusable link set, they are cheap.

Hey Victor-Do you realize a new Toyota fusable link is like $10? It is all set with the correct fusable link wire guage to protect your $$$$$$ wire harness. I would not use anything else.

i dont mean to steal your thread but i did a search and this seemed pertinent...

i decided to replace the battery connectors... they've been there since '94 and it definitely shows. i was wondering if i could just use the battery cable... pictured here http://content.performanceproducts.com/main/101930/101930_200_1.jpg, for the (-) terminal connector and ground wire, anybody see a problem with that? and then for the (+) i would just use the existing cable and pick up a new military grade connector and sodder it on... hows that sound? thanks for any and all help.
~Russ

I assume those are short versions of what you want to buy? what gage are they? hard part is going to be getting the right length.

you can make your own quality cables if you get a crimper, then you are asured the right length and can rework them later if needed. I got a "swage it tool" for not much $

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom