Replacing (and perhaps upgrading) the standard brake booster for non-ABS 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can the standard 80 series (not sure of OEM maker) brake booster be replaced with a better one? New originals are very NLA and mine appears to be the original ex-factory from 1992. My 80 doesn't have ABS, if that matters.

You can switch to a hydro boost set up.
D4724AA3-65DC-4D84-903B-53A9D6910428.jpeg
999E9466-D113-4F8A-AA22-C2F482E1804D.jpeg

A ‘96, but I think the brakes are all the same, but simpler on pre-ABS applications.

someone with a 90-92, can probably confirm for sure.

Hydroboost would be my vote......now that I know how awesome it works !

There's a place doing that here, but I don't think it would be considered road-legal. I'm quite happy to stick with a vacuum booster if I can find one. I don't know if the RHD ones have a different port arrangement compared to LHD ones (if there's even a difference).

What about genuine OEM toyota substitutes?

Can the standard 80 series (not sure of OEM maker) brake booster be replaced with a better one? New originals are very NLA and mine appears to be the original ex-factory from 1992. My 80 doesn't have ABS, if that matters.

Since you're in Australia, you'll be able to find the Aisin BBT-016 booster, which should be good for any year HDJ80 as long as you have a 2-bolt master cylinder. They're going for around $320 AUD.

If you go this route, can I hassle you to ship me one? I need this for my RHD 80 series, but no Aussie shop with these in stock will ship to USA addresses!

Oh didn't see those - I'll check them out more. I wonder if they are an exact replacement for the Toyota originals? The part numbers changed quite a bit though my 80 being non-ABS might be limited to the ones it can use.

Can anyone confirm if there is actually a difference....? I have found a bunch of 90s Toyota’s seem to use the same booster (or at least share the same bolt pattern and work the same). I’ve used brake boosters from 80 series cruisers, hiluxes and even taragos in earlier 40/60 cruisers and the bolt patterns have all been identical (from memory anyway).

Alternatively, you should be able to get one from a wreckers for like $50.

Plus they aren’t too difficult to rebuild depending what’s broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom