Replacing all the hoses on your 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As these old gals get up in age, what's going to start killing them are blown hoses that fry the engine. Don't let this happen to yours, especially if you run it hard or someone else (wifey) drives it also because that's when it will happen per our old friend Mr. Murphy.

In the course of doing my head gaskets, I chose to replace all the heater hoses and did some painstaking looking and trial fitting to find the right stuff. The heater hoses are metric, which is difficult to find unless you're in a good size city. I hit most of the parts stores in town and bought little samples which I brought home and trial fitted. Most were a poor fit. You have two sizes of heater hoses, one is slightly smaller than 5/8" and the other is slightly smaller than 1/2". You need a few feet of the larger size and a foot of the smaller size.

Larger size: I found some Goodyear bulk hose at AutoZone (P/N 65071) that is 5/8" but way tighter than other brand 5/8's so it fits perfectly on the cruiser. That gets you a 6 foot coil - enough for 2 trucks for about $6 - best deal of the project.

Smaller size: For the slightly smaller hoses back against the firewall you'll need to search harder. I bought a hose from an import parts place destined for a BMW that had a long enough straight section to cannibalize. The maker is "Elaplast" from Germany and it's the proper metric size so also an excellent fit. Try a BMW dealer for this hose which is slightly smaller than 1/2" - might be 12mm I.D.? They might carry it in bulk. My local Toyota dealer did not - they replace all hoses with the Toyota part.

Either way, be advised you may have a tough time finding these two hose sizes and the time to discover this is not at 3pm and you're at the 5th store in town and the Cruiser is immobile until someone can special order you bulk hose.

DougM

c dan doesn't carry the hoses?

FirstToy said:
c dan doesn't carry the hoses?

He stocks the hoses but not the clamps! IdahoDoug, why would you be thinking of hoses on this winter day?

Thanks for your advice here and in the other thread - I have a nice, sweet, wet time ahead of me.

I did all the hoses on the 97 a while back with toyota stuff and the price wasn't that bad 3-6 bucks each and the fit... no bending or messing with bulk hose... I will pay the extra just to not have to hassle with it... IMHO...

Agree there are some hoses you should order:

Large rad top/bottom
Large below thermostat
90 degree from firewall on right side of engine
90 degree from heater valve downward to left side of engine

And buying them all from Dan is a great way for a seamless project. Heck, he may even have a source for the correct bulk hose. Nothing would surprise me from Albuquerque!!

DougM

hmm besides the PHH all my hoses look very good at thsi age, no swelling cracking ect

if I was in there for soemthing like a HG definatly, do it wile it is easy to get to

I've done them all but the ones at the bottom of the rig that hook up the rear heater. I'm a bit worried about those.

If you go in for the HG, there's another I recommend that's a very thin hose from the throttle body down through the intake to a head nipple about 3 inches forward of the PHH nipple. That hose would be a serious trick to get to otherwise. Its called the #1 water bypass hose and not a worry because the thinner hoses (same size as the skinny one from the therm housing to the metal pipe that goes around the front of the head) seem to last forever. Get this from Dan, also. But I did both of mine because I'll likely still own these trucks in 10 years..

DougM

There are auto mechanic's supply services down here with names like "Fred the Hose Guy" who drive around in a van full of different diameter and thickness hose (and clamps) fitting custom hoses to cars under repair. Awesome service.

OZCAL said:
There are auto mechanic's supply services down here with names like "Fred the Hose Guy" who drive around in a van full of different diameter and thickness hose (and clamps) fitting custom hoses to cars under repair. Awesome service.

Wow, that's so cool! I gotta get to Aus one of these days. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I suppose something like that can totally save the day. Might even save a life considering the conditions at times. I just think that is so cool. :cheers:

Does this include hydraulic hoses and common crimp fittings? What about brake lines or compressor lines for lockers and such?

If I ran such a service it would be called "TurboHoser" :D :flipoff2: :D

We just have a guy here called House of Hose or something. First time I went, I poked my head in the door and quickly asked if he had some rubber tubing I needed in a hurry. Second time I waited forever for him to finish yakking with someone for 10 minutes about fishing, etc. Then asked if he had a certain heater hose diameter. Nope. So, I asked about another diameter. Nope. So I asked him what kind of heater hose he DOES have. None came the reply, followed by the comment that people were always coming in asking him for radiator and heater hose, but he doesn't carry any of that. Surprised, I asked him what kind of hose he DOES carry? Just hydraulic. So I pointed out that his name implied that he was the purveyor of LOTS of kinds of hoses and it should be no surprise the people came looking for those and others. He seemed kinda puzzled, so I left while he was still puzzled. Never to return to the House of Hose (if all you want is hydraulic..).

I wish we had the guy mentioned above around here.

DougM

turbocruiser said:
Wow, that's so cool! I gotta get to Aus one of these days. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I suppose something like that can totally save the day. Might even save a life considering the conditions at times. I just think that is so cool. :cheers:

Does this include hydraulic hoses and common crimp fittings? What about brake lines or compressor lines for lockers and such?

If I ran such a service it would be called "TurboHoser" :D :flipoff2: :D

TurboHoser, I don't know the specifics - I'm sure there are some limits - I'll ask a smart person (mechanic) next time I stop by...

IdahoDoug said:
We just have a guy here called House of Hose or something. First time I went, I poked my head in the door and quickly asked if he had some rubber tubing I needed in a hurry. Second time I waited forever for him to finish yakking with someone for 10 minutes about fishing, etc. Then asked if he had a certain heater hose diameter. Nope. So, I asked about another diameter. Nope. So I asked him what kind of heater hose he DOES have. None came the reply, followed by the comment that people were always coming in asking him for radiator and heater hose, but he doesn't carry any of that. Surprised, I asked him what kind of hose he DOES carry? Just hydraulic. So I pointed out that his name implied that he was the purveyor of LOTS of kinds of hoses and it should be no surprise the people came looking for those and others. He seemed kinda puzzled, so I left while he was still puzzled. Never to return to the House of Hose (if all you want is hydraulic..).

I wish we had the guy mentioned above around here.

DougM

Doug I think you might have missed that guy's attempt at dry crass humor...

Say "House of Hose" a couple times without the PHH on your mind...:grinpimp:

Then go back and say "I've got a little white caulk, where can I get some hose?"

Same here this summer will replace all the necessary stuff, so far now just replaced the fan clutch.Can't wait.
Radiator_Hoses_80.JPG

:eek:

LX I hate to ask how much that pile cost.

I got some small ID hoses (like vacuum ones) replaced with silicone hoses from Japan. They come in different sizes and different colors and they are tough. I tested them OK in summer when it was 45 deg C and in winter when it hit 50 deg below zero they stayed soft and flexible. And they made my engine look much brighter.

I do think it best to get most of the hoses with bends in them from cdan. I tried to take the cheap bastid route and spent an entire weekend tracking down, cutting and fitting hoses from the local NAPA. Finally got them in but it took me a long time and i probably spent the same $ as if i would have purchased them from cdan in the first place.

Sluff said:
And they made my engine look much brighter.

Welcome Sluff. :flipoff2:

Start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself and your truck.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom