Replacing 2F exhaust valve (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
I lost my #5 cylinder in my 1975 FJ 55 recently, and have discovered it was my exhaust valve. Upon pulling the head and valve, I'm wondering if I can just throw a new valve in there, lap it and drive on or if I need to do something more elaborate. Plus, any other suggestions would be appreciated

IMG_20211007_121626274.jpg

IMG_20211007_150911929.jpg

IMG_20211007_150928046.jpg

Yes, it's an early LandCruiser. Throw a valve in, lap it and drive on.
Something more elaborate? A new head gasket might be nice...

Yes, it's an early LandCruiser. Throw a valve in, lap it and drive on.
Something more elaborate? A new head gasket might be nice...

I'm thinking new valve seals as well, just because.

I'm thinking since my head gasket came off in three pieces, I didn't want to innovate with multi-piece head gaskets, so that will be replaced as well.

Valve seals is pretty fancy, oil is still cheap...
When I was 16, my first car was a 65 VW bug that was a real beater. It dropped a valve. Money was tight. I was going to do the bare minimum. The owner of the machine shop was a crusty old fella, he told me that was a terrible idea. Replace them all with new valves and springs. Otherwise, he said, you will just drop another valve after it is all put together. Seems like while the head is off you would go ahead and do a complete valve job. Then again, it's not my money.

I'm with the 'replace that one valve and lap it' crowd, but I'd sure inspect all the others very closely for seat or valve issues. 2Fs seem a bit hard on valve stem seals, so I would do that while the head is off. Nice to have no 'puff of blue' on shifts. You could also pour mineral spirits on all the other valves to check how well they seal.

Looks like a full frame off rebuild is in store!

How's Tennessee?

Looks like a full frame off rebuild is in store!

How's Tennessee?

Yeah, frame off rebuild calls to me, but I still need to drive it.

Tennessee is awesome; I retired a couple weeks ago, so no longer have to drive through Nashville.

Seems everyone is moving here. We have predatory realtors trying to sell our houses out from under us at hyperinflated prices. Factories are paying high school grads outrageous wages to start and can't fill jobs.

I'm hooked up with some good ole boys who shoot blackpowder rifles on the weekend, and have started hand making flintlocks for them for fun and a profit.

Other than that, it's a darned pretty state, if we can keep the Californians and New Yorkers from ruining it like they ruined Bozeman.

Other than that, it's a darned pretty state, if we can keep the Californians and New Yorkers from ruining it like they ruined Bozeman.

not just Bozeman

Yeah, frame off rebuild calls to me, but I still need to drive it.

Tennessee is awesome; I retired a couple weeks ago, so no longer have to drive through Nashville.

Seems everyone is moving here. We have predatory realtors trying to sell our houses out from under us at hyperinflated prices. Factories are paying high school grads outrageous wages to start and can't fill jobs.

I'm hooked up with some good ole boys who shoot blackpowder rifles on the weekend, and have started hand making flintlocks for them for fun and a profit.

It sure is more fun to drive a cruiser than to be working on one forever!

Congrats on the retirement! Enjoy it.

I'm trying to figure out how those two are independent clauses.

Maybe you meant "drive a cruiser AND working on one forever!"

;)
You have to do a full rebuild before you can just drive it and not work on it all the time!

Some report using valve spring compression tools, that don't squish far enough on the spring. I made a tool with some structural steel I had laying around.

I'm pretty sure that OEM valves all had 'Teq' on them in '75. Hard to see under the deposits, but, it looks like some have been done before?

I have what I call "the bush answer" and the "road system answer". In the bush you do what you have to do, take shortcuts and hack stuff as needed to keep your s*** running. When you have access to the tools, supplies and support that you don't have in the bush, some of the bush answers are hard to accept.

A valve job is cheap. You have the head off. Do it right.

Mark...

I have what I call "the bush answer" and the "road system answer". In the bush you do what you have to do, take shortcuts and hack stuff as needed to keep your s*** running. When you have access to the tools, supplies and support that you don't have in the bush, some of the bush answers are hard to accept.

A valve job is cheap. You have the head off. Do it right.

Mark...
I have yet to find a reputable machine shop that will get back with me, and from what I've heard, wait times are way out there, so in the interest of getting it running again, I'm willing to try just replacing the one valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom