Replacing 1PZ engine with a 1HZ engine + gearbox? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1990 J70 SWB (see pic in my profile). I've tried to repair the gearbox a few times but apparently the spares are not available in Tanzania and it's reached the point here I am advised to just replace the entire gearbox. This is in itself a massive procurement process. While discussing with the mechanic there was surprisingly another SWB cruiser in the garage and he explained they had put a 1HZ engine and gearbox into the vehicle, though he mentioned it was a petrol car (mine is diesal). I also noticed they had a 12v system where I have a 24v.

I had never entertained this idea, things are very customizable here in Tanzania but I figured I'd pick the brains of the folks here. It should be mentioned that our organization just had an accident whereby we totaled a J70 chassis but the engine and gearbox should be good, so it is readily available. Any advice appreciated, cheers.

I've got a 1990 J70 SWB (see pic in my profile). I've tried to repair the gearbox a few times but apparently the spares are not available in Tanzania and it's reached the point here I am advised to just replace the entire gearbox. This is in itself a massive procurement process. While discussing with the mechanic there was surprisingly another SWB cruiser in the garage and he explained they had put a 1HZ engine and gearbox into the vehicle, though he mentioned it was a petrol car (mine is diesal). I also noticed they had a 12v system where I have a 24v.

I had never entertained this idea, things are very customizable here in Tanzania but I figured I'd pick the brains of the folks here. It should be mentioned that our organization just had an accident whereby we totaled a J70 chassis but the engine and gearbox should be good, so it is readily available. Any advice appreciated, cheers.
Instead 1hz it would be better swap 1hdt. 1hz doesn't give you much power, but cost will be approximately like swap on 1hz.

Instead 1hz it would be better swap 1hdt. 1hz doesn't give you much power, but cost will be approximately like swap on 1hz.
Interesting. In general I would like to avoid a turbo. Plus, having a 1HZ engine ready does factor into the decision. There is nothing like weight ratio or anything else that I'd have to worry about?

Interesting. In general I would like to avoid a turbo. Plus, having a 1HZ engine ready does factor into the decision. There is nothing like weight ratio or anything else that I'd have to worry about?
I think at least you need to reweld engine mounts.

I doubt Tanzania is big on high speed freeways. It will be pot holed roads outside and inside the cities. The 1HZ is a powerhouse in developing countries..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom