Replacement Wiring Harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have run into one too many issues with the wiring harness in my 1970 FJ40, V8 350 carb. I have had it for about a year and just now getting into fixing it up. The current harness is basically a rat nest with splicing and phantom wires everywhere. Any thoughts on aftermarket harnesses and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of chasing the power drains, finding them, fixing them and having a new one pop up. :mad:

Jeff

I did the painless set up. The harness is really just a generic wiring harness. The fact that it says FJ40 on the box means nothing. It has wires for the electric fan, electronic 4x4 selector and such, but no wires for basic stuff like windsheild wipers. I put mine in two years ago and have not had a problem since. Its a good harness, just not really made the FJ40.
Before you get started take pictures, draw diagrams, anything you can do to save yourself a headache. I had my ass kicked by the alternater and amp guage wires. I wish I would have drawn pictures before I took the old one completely out. Good Luck:grinpimp:

Search the forums. There was one of these threads a few weeks ago.

I bought an EZ harness. Haven't put it in yet but it's half the cost of a Painless and everyone I spoke to give them thumbs up

try centech

I recently went with American autowires highway 15 series. Very high quality harness, and you only hook up the circuits you need. I still need to clean up the wiring before I take any pictures of it.

Here was the box when I opened it, every circuit is packaged separate with full color instructions.

CRW_1070.jpg

CRW_1074.jpg

And here is where I mounted it in the glove box.

CRW_1075.jpg

I feel that it was worth the extra money over the ezwire kits, the instructions were much easier to follow.

I used a painless kit and I would give it a thumbs up I haven't used anyother kit so I can't comment on the others but had no problem with mine. Just takes a lot of time to do it right and make it look clean.

I did the EZ-wire kit these last two weekends, and have used painless before, both are great. One issue I ran into was the size of the wire on the factory switches is one size smaller than the EZ-wire kit. This is not a huge issue it's just that it's probably better to solder your connections versus using the crimp connectors.

If you need any help, please PM me, the turn signals are tricky, and if you have single bulb rear tail/turn lights in the back like I did, you'll need some good wiring ability's. I used every factory switch, and everything works like a champ! I'm making a full color LC to EZ-wire web page for the early trucks, but it's not done yet.

Scott-
Which EZ-Wire did you use?

Hi,

I have a 74' FJ40 that has a SBC in it, the PO had turned the original wiring harness into a rats nest. Wiring that went no place and some halfa$$ splices.

I get the painless harness, I got the FSM and started to make a wiring diagram for the painless harness, but talked to a couple of other mudders and on their advise decided that it would be easier to repair the old harness.

I got two wiring harnees for a 76' FJ40 and took the one out of the 74' and stripped the harnees, cut out the deadends, replace the bad sections with sections from the two donor harness's.

I got the original color code harness that was reworked for the SBC engine.

I would do this again if I needed to. Took me about 16 hours from start to finish. But I had about 10 more hours into studying the factory wiring diagram.

If you need a copy of the factory diagam send me a PM, I think that I have your year.

Good Luck.

Scott-
Which EZ-Wire did you use?

The Mini 12, I was able to get it right here in Denver. I have a few extra circuits like the wire for the choke since I have TBI, and the radio accessory and radio constant. I have everything working right now, but I need to complete the TBI wiring, which I think I will just use the radio connections for, unless I decide to run a secondary fuse block.

EDIT: I wanted to add that you mount the Painless fuseblock in the stock position, they are almost identical in height and width.

Last edited:
The Mini 12, I was able to get it right here in Denver. I have a few extra circuits like the wire for the choke since I have TBI, and the radio accessory and radio constant. I have everything working right now, but I need to complete the TBI wiring, which I think I will just use the radio connections for, unless I decide to run a secondary fuse block.

What was your final cost for this kit? I like the look of the fuse box. Seems to be good quality.

What was your final cost for this kit? I like the look of the fuse box. Seems to be good quality.

$167 with tax, I think it's $145 on their site and then they quoted me $15 in shipping, so getting it in town was just about as easy. If your in Denver the place is called "Stream Line Industries" They are a hotrod shop near downtown, they sold both ez-wire and painless in fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom