Replacement tow harness converter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to replace my failed tow harness converter box from my 00 LC. Would anyone be able to make a recommendation?

I was able to pull this box and wire my tow harness directly into my tail lights temporarily but i'd prefer to wire this the correct way.

Any links to a solid unit form Amazon would be greatly appreciated!

-K

I bought one off etrailer that plugged right in and works well. (I even have a spare if you might want a deal on an unopened unit)

Mine just went out too! Shorted running light circuit took the converter out. I did a bit of an upgrade rather than just replace with the same part.

I replaced the tail light converter box with this Hopkins 46365. It seems great so far. I cut the wires on the dead box and soldered and shrinkwrapped them to wires on the new/aftermarket box. That way none of the factory wiring built into the truck is cut. The difference between the Hopkins box and the Toyota one is that the Hopkins one needs power from the battery. I took the opportunity to run a positive cable from the battery through the firewall in the driver footwell and under the carpet to the back. Behind your factory jack there is space to snake the positive battery wire back to the cavity where the light converter sits. I used some beefy wire so I can use it for other electronics later.

I replaced the factory 4 flat trailer light connector with this Hopkins 47185 multi-tow adapter. The reason I used this is so I don't have to use an adapter with my 7 round connector on the trailer. I also intend to use some relays and add a reverse light circuit and a charging circuit later. The factory connector is tough to get off. The two bolts that attach it are sunk into the rubber making it impossible to get a socket on them (at least in my case). I ended up heating up a razor and cutting the rubber off. After the rubber was gone I could get some vice grips one the bolts and back them out. The mounting bracket that comes with the Hopkins plug will fit with the factory holes and bolts. You will need to drill out one of the holes on the bracket a little bit though.

The hardest part getting was the trailer output wires from the converter box down to the plug. I didn't want to use the factory wires because they were all chewed up behind the trailer connection. I found that the easiest way to get to the grommet where the wires enter the body is unbolting half of the bumper and letting it flex out of the way. I taped the new wires to the old ones and pulled them through gently.

I really should have taken pictures of the process but of course you aren't thinking about that when laying on your back with dirt falling on your face. I can take some pictures of the final product if that would be helpful. I would also be happy to answer any questions about my setup.

P.S.
This is my first substantial post so if the formatting is weird it's because I don't know what i'm doing.

Mine just went out too! Shorted running light circuit took the converter out. I did a bit of an upgrade rather than just replace with the same part.

P.S.
This is my first substantial post so if the formatting is weird it's because I don't know what i'm doing.

Thanks for the info! For now, I'm looking for something close to a direct plug & play but I'll save this info in case an upgrade is needed in the future!

Whats the advantage of "the box"? I just used a harness with appropriate connectors.

Whats the advantage of "the box"? I just used a harness with appropriate connectors.

Toyota replaced my box twice under the recall and when the kid at the u-haul place discovered it had failed a third time, we spliced a generic 4-pin plug into the tail/brake lights.

That worked fine except for occasionally blowing the fuse for my brake lights. The box pulls power separately (I think?) and prevents that from happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom