Replacement Shock Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for replacement shock recommendations and potential rear air bags for my 2015 LC. I have approx 65,000 miles on it and run 275/70 BFG KO all terrain tires on stock wheels and stock suspension. I don't really want to lift the vehicle, but am looking to improve ride. I've noticed nose diving increasing as well as side sway when hitting bumps. The LC's handling changed drastically when I got the larger/heaver tires a few years ago, but it seems to be getting worse (I do try and make sure it gets a 4 wheel alignment pretty frequently as well as rotating/balancing all 5 tires). I'm also trying to address the rear sag issue that I get when loaded up. We mountain bike a lot and I'm frequently carrying 4 mountain bikes on a tray hitch rack in back along with a Yakima skybox 16 rooftop carrier. I've removed the third row seats and have one ARB drawer in the rear.

Any recommendations on replacement shocks? How much will replacement shocks help with my rear sag? Should I also look into getting airbags installed in the rear?

Thanks in advance!

Holderbee

The airbags will help. You might want to try those first. Bilstein 4600's are available but they will probably stiffen the ride.

Thanks!

Does anyone run the Bilstein 4600? OME makes a replacement also, but can't find much info on non OEM replacement shocks.

I'm not the suspension expert you are looking for, but my practical nature applies the KISS principle to pretty much everything. That said: to your questions:

Replace the shocks with OEM.
Shocks have nothing to do with rear sag (per @KLF )
Install rear airbags to inflate for those times you run heavy.

Update...installed Firestone airbags in the rear. It seems to help. I still haven't loaded LC down all the way yet, but I can definitely tell a difference with the bags.

Update...installed Firestone airbags in the rear. It seems to help. I still haven't loaded LC down all the way yet, but I can definitely tell a difference with the bags.
Did it make the rear of the truck much taller with the airbags aired down?

Did it make the rear of the truck much taller with the airbags aired down?
Not the OP, but I do have Firestone Bags. They do not affect the rear height at all aired down. I run about 20 PSI in mine all the time to stiffen up and raise the rear a hair.

Sorry for the delayed reply. The rear is not any higher with the airbags aired down. I can, however, raise the rear 2" or so if I inflate them all the way.

Sorry for the delayed reply. The rear is not any higher with the airbags aired down. I can, however, raise the rear 2" or so if I inflate them all the way.
Thanks. I ordered them but still waiting for them to arrive. Glad to hear your experience was the same.

I just had Bilstein 4600's installed at 98K miles, replacing the OEM tokico shocks. Stock Springs. and I already had the 10mm OEM strut spacer.

BEFORE: nose dive in hard braking. some body roll in hard turns. nose and tail bounce when dropping off curbs, etc. Smooth floaty ride. no complaints.

AFTER: I am VERY happy. Stiffer, but in the right way. LC feels super grounded. eats bumps. almost no body roll side to side in cornering, and nose dive minimal. feels like it has a wider tire stance even though it doesnt.

If you're not up for a suspension / offroad lift and just want better ride, i can highly recommend.

I just had Bilstein 4600's installed at 98K miles, replacing the OEM tokico shocks. Stock Springs. and I already had the 10mm OEM strut spacer.

BEFORE: nose dive in hard braking. some body roll in hard turns. nose and tail bounce when dropping off curbs, etc. Smooth floaty ride. no complaints.

AFTER: I am VERY happy. Stiffer, but in the right way. LC feels super grounded. eats bumps. almost no body roll side to side in cornering, and nose dive minimal. feels like it has a wider tire stance even though it doesnt.

If you're not up for a suspension / offroad lift and just want better ride, i can highly recommend.
I put 4 Bilstein 4600's on my 100 series (24-027397, 24-027403) and had the exact same outcome. They almost made me want so SPEED UP for speed bumps. Not that I would ever do that, mind you. :giggle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom