Replacement Rocker Panels (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398986519.676449.jpg

Missed that little detail at first glance but it does say it includes the door lip.

...via IH8MUD app

be careful when you cut the top of the rocker at the back piller. ITs a taper and very hard to match. I was lucky with a little grinding got it to blend in. I was happy with real steel but I only did my outer. This is the stuff to spray in after you weld . Its the can of stuff with the plastic tube. http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle-qt.html

be careful when you cut the top of the rocker at the back piller. ITs a taper and very hard to match. I was lucky with a little grinding got it to blend in. I was happy with real steel but I only did my outer. This is the stuff to spray in after you weld . Its the can of stuff with the plastic tube. http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle-qt.html

i saw that looked like it was worth trying. I figured i would por15 the tube and then primer and then spray paint and then clearcoat spray paint after to try and make it look nice and protect against rust.

just by chance do you remember your shipping time from real steel. I am going to try and order just their outside rockers and maybe patch together something for the inside as its not as visible from what i can tell. I will know for certain next time i can get by the storage unit and see the truck.

Since the driver floor pan is being replaced and the pass side patched would it be better to repair and swap out the rockers before doing the floor or after or at the same time. I am alittle worried about keeping the tub shape so i figured one thing at a time but these arent to major of structure parts that would require bracing like what i have seen some people do to keep everything square

Last edited:
Remember to
Stitch weld if
You weld it
All at one time it will warp its a pain and requires self control not to keep welding once you get the arc started. They ship pretty quick. Do one piece at a time so you keep everything aligned. Good luck.

I was able to get by the storage unit and check on the 40 and make sure the flood water stayed out. realized I need to rent a bigger unit.

I also took a closer look at the rockers and might have found good news it looks like my inners are not as eaten up as the outers. I might have to replace the pass inner but I'm thinking it would be easier to shape up something than install a new inner. Looks like I'll place an order for real steel outer rockers on Monday since I've only heard good things about them. Hopefully I only have to get outer by the end of these. I'm ready to have this rust gone.

Outer
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399086254.124770.jpg

Inner
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399086326.264105.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399086339.581792.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

You will need a very small recipicating saw to cut the old one out in the picture i sent you its that top joint on the rear piller. Every thing else makes to big of a cut. Its the only thing I found easy to use. Got it from Harbor Freight.

You will need a very small recipicating saw to cut the old one out in the picture i sent you its that top joint on the rear piller. Every thing else makes to big of a cut. Its the only thing I found easy to use. Got it from Harbor Freight.

thanks tips like this should help make the process much easier.

Defiantly nice to get good advice on something like this, its out of the norm for me.

does anyone know of a good write up for putting in new outside rockers. Interested to see what others have done when cutting and folding new lip over inside of the doors where outer and inner come together, looks like mine has a bolt under the outside rocker on the sides

has anyone that replaced their rocker panels used a crimping tool or anything special to fold the top lip of the outside rocker over the top of the inside rocker., should it be welded after folding over,

Plan is to save the inside rocker and use new complete replacements from realsteel, when trying to plan approach to start just wondering what others have done to make look close to factory

Any tips or links on replacing the rockers with a replacement panel would be a great help. I am continuing to search but not finding quite what i need

Side note very happy with the real steel panels, shipped quick and nice quality. would use them again if i need to

Just lining up my Real Steel rockers and something isn't right.

It's aligned but about 1/2" too short (yes I ordered the appropriate year).

Anyone else have similar issues?

Rocker Panels 1.jpg

Rocker Panels 2.jpg

It’s been a few years since my welder installed mine. I don’t have that cruiser anymore.

I do think that real steal sold its company/business in the last year. Maybe they changed manufacturers or suppliers or something.

I would contact them. They should know enough about their product to help you fit them or know if that’s an issue they need to send you a replacement.

Just lining up my Real Steel rockers and something isn't right.

It's aligned but about 1/2" too short (yes I ordered the appropriate year).

Anyone else have similar issues?

Yes, exact same issue on mine. But I noticed before I cut it, also seems the panel is not as bent as dramatically as the stock one.

Glad I'm not the only with the Real Steel rocker being 1/2" too short. Just started to install mine, and it's also short. At least they're consistent.

Well dang the main reason for getting those is they have the curved bend versus just a straight bend (which is easy to do with a brake or even a vice). But then you have to cut off the hard part to manufacture to make them fit. Bummer.

Never could get an answer if the RS rockers would fit early (‘63) rigs, same with their lower door panels. So I made my own.

I haven’t used the real steel rockers, but the drivers floor pan and quarter panels all had to have major surgery before they would fit properly.

Real Steel may have been a good quality company at one time, but I would advise avoiding them as much as possible, unless you like having to cut apart panels you just spent good money on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom