Replacement rear brake pads (80 series) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently bought a set of Akebono ASP606a rear brake pads (Premium line) but after opening the box they seemed a bit smaller than expected so compared them to a set of new OEM Toyota replacement pads. The Toyota pads are a bit larger (surface area) even taking into account the bevel on the Akebono pads.

Seems like in the past the thought was that the OEM pads were made by Akebono?? These rear pads at least were made by ADVICS.

IDK which are the "best" pads but I'm leaning toward the OEM pads and returning the Akebonos.

Here's some photos for comparison:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the label indicate when the Toyota pads were produced?

FZJ80 rear brake pad Toyota box.png

Akebono pads made in the USA (June 2022).

FZJ80 rear brake pad Akebono Premium ASP606a box.png

Green backing plate is the Toyota pad, Black is Akebono.

Toyota pads come without any hardware. Akebono pads come with one shim each and spare clips (not shown).

FZJ80 Rear brake pad comparison Akebono ASP to genuine Toyota pads 1.png

Note size differences (Green Toyota, Black Akebono)

FZJ80 Rear brake pad comparison Akebono ASP to genuine Toyota pads 5.png

Seems to be more material on the Toyota pad

FZJ80 Rear brake pad comparison Akebono ASP to genuine Toyota pads 3.png

Last edited:
Just another photo comparing the pad surfaces:
FWIW

FZJ80 Rear brake pad comparison Akebono ASP to genuine Toyota pads 6.png

Last edited:
What's the question? Where is the question?

The label says "Made in Japan." How much clearer can it get?
He was questioning whether Akebono manufactured OEM pads.

The main reason for the post was just to share what I found;
that the Akebono pads appeared a bit smaller than the OEM Toyota pads. That of course doesn't necessarily mean that the Akebono pads aren't as good as the Toyota pads, or vice versa. I suppose that would depend on the compound the brake pads are made of??

I was curious if anyone knew if the manufacturing change to ADVICS (if there was a change) was recent?

FWIW

Initial reply from Akebono after sending them photos of both pads:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The smaller puck shape is because we consolidated tooling. This will not create any issues with his application"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consolidated tooling?? Does that mean they changed the pad size so the same tooling could produce pads for mulitple vehicles??

I have given up on aftermarket rear pads. I've found none that fit properly. I only use OEM pads there. The front is easier to find usable pads for, but since I'm buying the rears from Toyota, I buy the fronts there too, since it save clicking hassle. I'm lazy like that.

Bendix DB1200 in one of it's versions is the pads for rears - fits both early and later disk brakes.

More feedback, this time from Akebono's production manager in KY when I asked for a more technical response, got pretty much the same:

Consolidated tooling is when multiple pad shapes use a common puck shape. All the puck shapes will be very close in shape and dimensions. We have standards in place for this that will prevent any issues in performance of the pads. We have sold the ASP606A and ACT606A for many years with no issues.

And maybe it doesn't matter, but no way to tell which is the better pad without side-by-side tests for example with something like a brake pad testing machine to look at the numbers comparing different pads: friction/stopping force, heat generation, rusting, etc, etc?? But who'd going to do that?

Below is an interesting video comparing pads from different price ranges (but not Akebono or Toyota specifically). The Akebono ASP would be in the $60 + price range:

If you want to skip to the results scroll ahead and start watching at ~13 minutes (basically the conclusion is you get what you pay for):

Last edited:
Bit of a tangent, but how often do you guys change brake pads on your 80? I've owned my 80 for 5 years now as my DD, and I've never changed the fronts, still plenty of material. I changed the rears when I rebuilt the park brake simply as a matter of course (replaced everything with OEM, including the rotors). The rears still had plenty of life too when I pulled them. Mine is a manual and I engine brake a lot, so I've wondered if my lifetime from these pads is common or down to driving habits. I've done at least 3 sets of pads and two sets of tyres in the mumvee in the same time period.

Rear brake pads and rotors on my 96 model FZJ80 have ~200,000 miles on them and braking is very good, stops on a dime.

So, I thought I had found the Holy Grail combination of rear brake pads (EBC) and rotors (DBA). Then recently discovered that at least one rear caliper is plugged, no fluid comes out when trying to bleed the line.

Point is, the rear EBC pads seemed to last forever when in fact the rear calipers probably aren't functioning much at all. How much of that is from a collapsed hose, a stuck caliper, or even the proportioning valve?? IDK.

But it still stops on a dime (front DBA rotors, 100 series OEM pads).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom