replacement motor dream for old 1hz slipping away but I keep dreaming still (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just had a random thought - while I keep dreaming of a replacement for the old 1hz and it keeps getting further away, I wondered if when you get a replacement motor do you get it test-run to prove it operates before accepting it, or just take someone else's word?

If you buy an import motor, what guarantee (if any) do you have that it's operation has been verified/witnessed by someone at the company that's doing the importing of motors?

Obviously a brand new crate motor (for comparison) probably is not test run because the Toyota Way means it doesn't need to be, but for a used motor (esp one out of a vehicle that the recipient cannot start or an imported one ex-japan), is that considered important? Just 'winging it' seems risky for a $10k+ purchase.

Thoughts?

Just had a random thought - while I keep dreaming of a replacement for the old 1hz and it keeps getting further away, I wondered if when you get a replacement motor do you get it test-run to prove it operates before accepting it, or just take someone else's word?

If you buy an import motor, what guarantee (if any) do you have that it's operation has been verified/witnessed by someone at the company that's doing the importing of motors?

Obviously a brand new crate motor (for comparison) probably is not test run because the Toyota Way means it doesn't need to be, but for a used motor (esp one out of a vehicle that the recipient cannot start or an imported one ex-japan), is that considered important? Just 'winging it' seems risky for a $10k+ purchase.

Thoughts?
Most everyone I know that buys a used engine these days, asks for a video of it running with a pas over the S/N of the engine to prove that the one running in the video is the one they are buying / receiving.

This is more common than you might think, especially with LS engines in the USA. Even salvage yards will provide this.

Thoughts?

I'd be surprised if you could find an Aussie wrecker who would go to the effort of starting and videoing an engine.

Australian consumer law states an item sold must be fit for purpose. If an engine doesn't run, it's not fit for purpose.

Wreckers will exchange parts that aren't any good. Although there's definitely some you'll have a hard time getting satisfaction from if something is not up to scratch.
Also, if you buy a 20 or 30 year old used engine, what's a reasonable state for it to be in? If it runs but burns oil for example, is that reasonable wear and tear for a used engine?

Murky waters!
Do your homework.
Only buy from a trusted seller with good reviews it reputation.
Or, if you're taking chances on an unknown source, only pay a price that leaves you room to recover the situation if things don't play out in your favour.

How do you test run a long block?

Can't see Toyota bolting in all the fuel system, manifold etc onto long blocks when completed cars are only test run as they are loaded onto transport

Explain then why they have the remains of coolant and oil in them then? Also explain why some freeze plugs get changed after first assembly.

Cheers

All OEM manufacturers have purpose built test stands for engines, transmissions and differentials. Most (not Dana) run 100% of their products through a specific test cycle and log the data before accepting the unit. The data is more for assembly line monitoring than customer satisfaction, but it's there anyway.

Thoughts?
Even a salvage engine sitting on a tire (or preferably an engine stand) can be run. Depending on whether or not it needs and ECU, that has to be connected, as does fuel, but nothing else is required to verify the engine turns over and runs under its own power. You obviously can't run one for long like this, but you can verify it's not locked and that the valve train is minimally functional.

CarTunes in NZ has a couple of videos showing how they run engines on test stands.

Compression test, video of it running and any know history is probably as good as it gets for a 30-year-old engine. When you decide to pull the trigger, @chapel gate is the go-to.

Explain then why they have the remains of coolant and oil in them then? Also explain why some freeze plugs get changed after first assembly.

Cheers

I honestly don't know.

@OGBeno has said Toyota don't test run engines during car production. 1st run is when they are driven away.
Why would they have a different policy for a long block?

I can understand pressure testing coolant galleries, freeze plugs etc. I'm sure there's ways to do that with out running an engine.

And is oil remnant not just from assembly?

Don't knock that Euro techno doof doof! :cool:

I think Oz as a market for jap import diesel motors is probably quite unique.

Why aren’t you just considering your motor getting a overhaul / refresh the block & crank bearings and the valvetrain?

Are certain parts NLA?

I’d sooner get my motor refreshed than dump big $$ unless your motor already has 2 overbores or has a issue you know is going to be a deal-breaker upcoming.

Why aren’t you just considering your motor getting a overhaul / refresh the block & crank bearings and the valvetrain?

Are certain parts NLA?

I’d sooner get my motor refreshed than dump big $$ unless your motor already has 2 overbores or has a issue you know is going to be a deal-breaker upcoming.
Primarily due to it's age of almost 700 k km's. The motor is the original - probably never been out. So from that perspective there is value in considering overhauling it to maintain continuity of chassis/body and motor. It's just a 1hz though. Totally earned respect from me in the almost 200 k km's and 12 yrs I've owned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom