Replacement key for my 2000 land cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have two keys and one is already broken and taped up. The second is about to go as I can feel the plastic weakening.

I would like to get both replaced. Can someone suggest to me what my options are and also where to buy? Thanks everyone!!!!

Yota md key. It’s all over this forum. Many happy customers

Let me know if you have any questions on the YotaMD key! As you can see, tons of fans on here. It's the best option, hands down.

Reactions: jLB
Got a master replacement off eBay from 1010Keys. They cut it from pictures and it worked perfectly. I think I paid $30ish. Will eventually upgrade to a YotaMD cause they are as durable as the truck itself.

I only have the metal key (no fob) for my 2000. How much work would it be to get a fob (yotamd) key?

I only have the metal key (no fob) for my 2000. How much work would it be to get a fob (yotamd) key?
Fob itself is a different process and fairly easy to program to control locks (plenty of YT videos on it). Really the main thing is getting the correct chipped key, which isn't overly hard to find (think it is a C chip, not 100%) but @Mauser has a thread with all the necessary info.

Programming the transponder to the Immobilizer system is the hard part, which either takes the TechStream software OR going to a locksmith that has the appropriate programmer (most mobile locksmiths do). Main problem you main run into with only 1 key is if yours is NOT a Master.

Reactions: jLB
Fob itself is a different process and fairly easy to program to control locks (plenty of YT videos on it). Really the main thing is getting the correct chipped key, which isn't overly hard to find (think it is a C chip, not 100%) but @Mauser has a thread with all the necessary info.

Programming the transponder to the Immobilizer system is the hard part, which either takes the TechStream software OR going to a locksmith that has the appropriate programmer (most mobile locksmiths do). Main problem you main run into with only 1 key is if yours is NOT a Master.
I tested the Key via the programming key thread and upon inserting the key to the ignition the flashing red key light immediately went off. Now, I’m not sure that necessarily means it’s the “master” key or not?

I tested the Key via the programming key thread and upon inserting the key to the ignition the flashing red key light immediately went off. Now, I’m not sure that necessarily means it’s the “master” key or not?
Yeah that is supposed to be the main indicator that it is a master key. A valet key is supposed to be on solid for a second or two I believe and then shut off.

I bought this cheap setup from Amazon. $10 for pair of fob shells. Not the finest quality but they work and you can attach a key ring to them. Haven't shelled out for the YotaMD...yet.

I bought my LC with only one key, but fortunately it was the original OEM master key. However, having one key is not an optimal condition as it can be a single point failure.
So, I ordered a cheapo replacement key from Amazon, had the key cut by a locksmith, programmed the FOB myself using instructions widely available on YouTube, and realizing that the Amazon FOB was about as beefy as a potato chip, I bought the Yota MD shell and installed the gizzards from the Amazon FOB into it.
The Yota MD shell is built like a tank and everything fit into it with extreme ease.
I still have my OEM key as a spare, but use the Amazon/Yota key as primary. Never a problem after 3 years of heavy (mis)use.

I strongly recommend it.

Ranges from $25 Amazon ones up to $300+ dealer markups on oem.

I think this is right for your year, but you'll want to verify by Vin. $150 for OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom