Replacement Key Fob Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Irish Reiver

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Good motning Chaps,
I have two remotes (both of which work) but both are broken in the corner where it would attach to your key. Apparently the company (Rostra) went out of business and so no new remotes are available.
Like I said, both mine work so I really only need a replacement case.
I'm sure I'm not the first person with this complaint. My wife says to buy aa key ring with a leather key fob pocket and just use that. It's a possibilty but not my favored choice.
Are you guys aware of any other solutions?

20151204_070714.jpg

This an aftermarket alarm system? Do you have the Little Alarm Box under drivers seat?

If NO:

Ebay

Remote Key Keyless Entry Fob Transmitter Alarm Clicker For Toyota RS3000 Systems

Seller information
yourkeylessremote (216237 )
99.6% Positive feedback
Follow this seller
Visit store:

Item Information
Item condition:
New
Compatibility:
See compatible vehicles
Quantity:
More than 10 available / 233 sold
Was:
US $24.99
iconBubbleHelp.gif

You save:
$1.50 (6% off)
Price:
US $23.49

If Yes: Panic!

Will these ebay remotes work as replacement for the following Toyota clickers? The OP's clicker and mine(shown below) only have 1 button and the ebay ad states they'll work for Toyota clickers that have 2 buttons.

toyota_oem_toyota_1_button_keyless_remote_entry_clicker_broken_loop_124_p267.jpg

This an aftermarket alarm system? Do you have the Little Alarm Box under drivers seat?

If NO:

Ebay

Remote Key Keyless Entry Fob Transmitter Alarm Clicker For Toyota RS3000 Systems

Seller information
yourkeylessremote (216237 )
99.6% Positive feedback
Follow this seller
Visit store:

Item Information
Item condition:
New
Compatibility:
See compatible vehicles
Quantity:
More than 10 available / 233 sold
Was:
US $24.99
iconBubbleHelp.gif

You save:
$1.50 (6% off)
Price:
US $23.49

If Yes: Panic!

OEM '94 RS3000 key fobs have two buttons...at least mine do and I'm the only owner my '94 truck has ever seen!

Will these ebay remotes work as replacement for the following Toyota clickers? The OP's clicker and mine(shown below) only have 1 button and the ebay ad states they'll work for Toyota clickers that have 2 buttons.

toyota_oem_toyota_1_button_keyless_remote_entry_clicker_broken_loop_124_p267.jpg
Do you have the RS3000 Security System?

OEM '94 RS3000 key fobs have two buttons...at least mine do and I'm the only owner my '94 truck has ever seen!

But only one button works per vehicle on mine

Do you have the RS3000 Security System?

But only one button works per vehicle on mine

Yes - only one button works to lock/unlock.

I just went out and checked. Looks like I have the MW-8480 unit. Can I swap in an RS3000 unit from ebay and program 2 new remotes for it?

try any of the replacement fob companies that list used fobs on Ebay - you may be able to change out the innards and won't need to reprogram.

I just went out and checked. Looks like I have the MW-8480 unit. Can I swap in an RS3000 unit from ebay and program 2 new remotes for it?

No clue. Is that a Toyota alarm unit? If so, give either CDAN or BENO a call and ask about fobs and programming them. I only know the RS3000, and I still have the manual too!

This an aftermarket alarm system? Do you have the Little Alarm Box under the drivers seat?

As I understand it this is a dealer installed option. It's not a Toyota product and doesn't have a box under the drivers seat. It took me a while to figure mine out but I now have the ability to program the fobs. Removing it looks risky - it is very professionally spliced into the harness.
I have looked around car shops for single button cases but have never found one yet. A friend offered to 3D print one but the coner where the key would go is too fragile.

Last edited:
I had same issue with my Avalon and slipped it in one of these till I resolved
41Arx-DgnML._SY300_.jpg

My suggestion would be to use epoxy to build up a new corner and then drill out a hole for the key ring. Our deadbolt on the house has a key fob (previous owners) and I did this to repair one with success.

Reactions: ppc
My suggestion would be to use epoxy to build up a new corner and then drill out a hole for the key ring. Our deadbolt on the house has a key fob (previous owners) and I did this to repair one with success.

Agree with this 100%, I used JB Weld years ago and still holding up well. Scuff the surface lightly then apply liberally, sand down to shape. Keep the hole smaller than original, just enough to keep the key ring from binding. I started by inserting a plastic bag between the two halves so I could separate after the JB Weld hardened.
keyfob.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. JB weld is being applied tonight. Let's see how it comes out.

My remote is in a little leather cover that has an eyelet. The cover is what attaches to my key ring, not the remote. Lots of these available in various sizes and materials. It's a good solution since the cover is flexible and cheap.

My remote is in a little leather cover that has an eyelet. The cover is what attaches to my key ring, not the remote. Lots of these available in various sizes and materials. It's a good solution since the cover is flexible and cheap.

This is what my wife was suggesting. Last night I did the JB weld trick. Needs some additional layers this morning. I will see how that goes before starting the search for the leather cover.

Without trying to hijack this thread, my rig only came with one remote. Any ideas where I can find another one (cheap)? I've never had a remote with as much range.

Without trying to hijack this thread, my rig only came with one remote. Any ideas where I can find another one (cheap)? I've never had a remote with as much range.

I searched all over the interweb for a spare remote for my system (Rostra) but with no joy. Apparently the company went out of business years back. I was hoping that someone had invented a remote that would learn the codes from a working one but I guess not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom