Replacement Headlight Switch Spades and Corresponding Wire Colors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

M47

Threads
I am installing a replacement headlight switch in my 1967 FJ40 (attached pic is the new switch). I can't find anywhere which color wires connect to which of the headlight switch blades (attached is another pic of the wires on my FJ40 that will connect to the new switch). There are 5 usable blades on the switch and 5 FJ40 wires. The FJ40 wire colors are: red, red/white, green, red/black, and green/black. Can you tell me which wire colors correspond to which blades on the new switch? Your help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

p.s. couldn't figure out how to attach pics.

Last edited:
Thanks, but my old switch is severely damaged. I'm hoping someone can provide which color wire to which blade. I have the wiring diagram with correct year and colors, but it does not show/identify color wire to each post (old switch) or blade (new switch).

Unfortunately, the pic on your referenced thread will not load. Same thing happened to me when I tried to load pics. So, I'm back to my original request. Thanks.

Here you go...

IMG_1440W.jpg

Red to Bat (+12V)
Green to L (Tail)
Green/Black to P (Park)
Red/White to H (Head Lights)
Red/Black to M (Meter Lights)

That is a perfect pic for my old switch, but that one is broken bad. My new switch has blades with no identifiers and is rectangular.

Sorry, but I've tried every way to Sunday to post pics and can't seem to manage it. Something about URLs I'm not familiar with.

Well then can you tell us who provided the switch? The 1967 switch is more than a bit strange in the way it works. Here is a drawing I did showing the switch positions. If the new switch cannot duplicate these then you are going to lose functionality.
HeadLightSwitchDoc.jpg

You will have to use a meter to figure out what the new switch does.
To get the head lights, rear park and meter lights to come on for example: Tie the large Red wire to the Red/White (head light), Green ( Rear Park) and Red/Black (Meter Lights) wires.

Last edited:
Okay, Coolerman. Email sent. What a great site. Everyone is very helpful. I'm new at this web site and my 1967 FJ40 rebuild. Just got the old school jump seats yesterday. Had to go from Amador County CA to Yuba City to Santa Rosa and back. Almost 300 miles. We are a bunch of diehards...

I think you are looking at the top bar trying to find a way to attach photos. Click on the orangish brown "Upload File" button located on the bottom right corner. That's what you need to click on. Then click on "full Image". That will enlarge the picture.

2017-09-03_0951.png

Shoot. I dont know that switch. It's not the appropriate switch for a '67.

I know that switch.... It is a headlight switch for early 70's FJ40. I have to go pick up some trees to plant but when I get back I will tell you how to hook up at least the park and headlights.

Well the wife thought if I was picking up trees, I may as well pick up several other things,, and, "Oh, by the way, you may as well plant them when you get home. It's such a nice day!" You get the picture...

So anyway, here is how to use that switch to get Head Lights, Meter Lights and Park/Tail lights.

IMG_3045.JPG

Referring to the above, admittedly, terrible pic and drawing:

Switch Blade Connection Function
Top Row of Switch left to right : No Connection, Park/Tail, Dimmer Switch
Bottom Row of Switch Left to Right : Meter Lights, To Fuse +12V, No Connection

Wire colors to attach to Blade Connections
Top Row, Left to Right : No Connection, Green + Green/Black, Red/White
Bottom Row, Left to Right : Red/Black, Red, No Connection

First click out on switch will be Park/Tail + Meter Lights.
Second click out on switch will be Park/Tail + Meter Lights + Head Lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom