Replacement Head Gasket Thickness? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Stock P/N is 1111566020, but no vendor I've seen lists thickness or compressed thickness. As people are replacing their HGs with oem, presumably the oem compressed thickness (whatever that is) applies to aftermarket, assuming no significant surface machining? Cometic lists many different thicknesses so, hard to know what to order.

What thickness am I looking for in a stock-spec rebuild? Thanks for any help!

I really do adore these insightful, informative and on-point comments that reflect the thoughtful, knowledgeable, and helpful nature of the posters. Any time devoted to reading and responding to such carefully considered and elegantly phrased responses is time well spent.

That said...

Maybe because plenty of folks use Cometic and swear by them. Maybe because I have an actual reason for asking. And maybe because if I use Cometic, it's not my bill--and if I use Toyota, it is. Good enough?

:cheers:

Last edited:
I really do adore these insightful, informative and on-point comments that reflect the thoughtful, knowledgeable, and helpful nature of the posters. Any time devoted to reading and responding to such carefully considered and elegantly phrased responses is time well spent.

That said...

Maybe because plenty of folks use Cometic and swear by them. Maybe because I have an actual reason for asking. And maybe because if I use Cometic, it's not my bill--and if I use Toyota, it is. Good enough?
jay, nothing personal, but for those who frequent this forum... you post a megaton of questions like it's going out of fashion. How many threads have you started since the start of 2023? :D

Even if you got thickness measurements for the OEM gasket and the ever popular Cometic... they're made of different materials and bolted down with completely different type of metal bits. lol

Carry on!

jay, nothing personal, but for those who frequent this forum... you post a megaton of questions like it's going out of fashion. How many threads have you started since the start of 2023? :D

Even if you got thickness measurements for the OEM gasket and the ever popular Cometic... they're made of different materials and bolted down with completely different type of metal bits. lol

Carry on!
Have you taken a spin through my hose or security or rear shelf etc. threads? I do my part, and try to be helpful when I see questions that happen to touch on one of the few Cruiser-related tech areas I actually have some reasonable knowledge about.

I have more questions lately because I actually have a second engine on-hand, can finally do a rebuild and engine bay refresh--and I'd prefer to gather this info and these parts now, before the engine is the machine shop and everything is on hold while I search for info.

Could I have spread these questions out over the last five years? Probably, if I'd thought of them. But I didn't need the info until now. And I'm guessing others will need it in the future, and find the answers--posted by those more knowledgeable than myself--helpful to their projects as well. Much of the info I gather will wind up in my forthcoming build thread. And the whole process (rebuild included) will put me in a better position to answer others' questions going forward. It's the Circle of Mud. :)

P.S. -- I've probably got your own parts posts open in ten different windows; thanks for all the great info!

Last edited:
Stock is like .040" compressed. Cut the head and block first and figure out how much you take off then you can look at different thickness gaskets but this is if you are being overly obsessive in trying to get it back to stock. slap on an oem and enjoy the teeny bit of extra compression or slap on a cometic .045 to get it close to stock if you take off roughly .006. Really this doesn't matter that much on a non fi engine.

Stock is like .040" compressed. Cut the head and block first and figure out how much you take off then you can look at different thickness gaskets but this is if you are being overly obsessive in trying to get it back to stock. slap on an oem and enjoy the teeny bit of extra compression or slap on a cometic .045 to get it close to stock if you take off roughly .006. Really this doesn't matter that much on a non fi engine.
Yeah, been wondering if what seem like tiny differences to me actually make any real-world difference with cam timing or anything else. I can see how shaving off the head AND the deck would add up a little bit, and if you undersize the gasket a little more. But assuming unmolested deck and head--going .040 to .045 or .053--does it really matter?

Cometic offerings range from .030 to .120...

When I worked for someone in cruisers we always used oem gaskets, if you brought in something else it would not be warranted. If and when either of mine needs gasket done will be oem why **** with anything else?
Sorry don’t know the thickness, I also don’t know why alligators are angry?

When I worked for someone in cruisers we always used oem gaskets, if you brought in something else it would not be warranted. If and when either of mine needs gasket done will be oem why f*** with anything else?
Sorry don’t know the thickness, I also don’t know why alligators are angry?
^^^^

Haha.....'an enlarged Medulla Oblongota' if we don't go with the 'Waterboy Version'. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom