Replacement for Rear Wiper Diverter Valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't remember it being $50. Mine still works.

Looked it up. Not $50: Valve Washer - Toyota (85321-60050) | Toyota Parts

Plug and play
That's where I got mine too. I guess I wasn't aware that these failed all the time. I assumed the one I had lasted 24 years, so if a new one lasted that long, I would happily buy another one because that would mean that both the truck and I would still be kicking. :)

That's where I got mine too. I guess I wasn't aware that these failed all the time. I assumed the one I had lasted 24 years, so if a new one lasted that long, I would happily buy another one because that would mean that both the truck and I would still be kicking. :)
That was my exact assumption too. Strong odds I'm not here in another 24 years. It's the next guy's problem now.

Heck, if you're in a pinch, you can use a simple ARB air locker valve if you got one laying around. These 12vdc valves are dime a dozen but the mounting solution for this valve that the PO acquired is rather nice. I believe these are simple on/off valves. Meaning, when you want the water to go the rear, the ECU turns on the washer pump AND activates this valve. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

Heck, if you're in a pinch, you can use a simple ARB air locker valve if you got one laying around. These 12vdc valves are dime a dozen but the mounting solution for this valve that the PO acquired is rather nice. I believe these are simple on/off valves. Meaning, when you want the water to go the rear, the ECU turns on the washer pump AND activates this valve. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

Good thought, but it would need to be a three way valve. As in, the water comes into one port the voltage opens either the second or third port diverting the water from the front to the back of the truck.

Actually it is a two way device. Technically it is a diverter not really a valve. The diverter, in a no voltage situation defaults to flowing fluid to the front windshield. With 12V applied an electromagnet moves the metal disk, one side covered with rubber, changing the flow through a second port to the rear washer. The most common failure of the diverter is the rubber delaminating from the metal disk.

$37.xx plus $11.xx shipping gets pretty f***(ng close to $50.

Thanks for your opinions on the subject. I was actually just trying to see if the OPs fix was still working. If I knew how to make the middle finger emoji here you'd get it. Cheers!

mine worked for over 200k miles. yes it could have been designed better but theyre not too expensive. what the op did was a good idea but the temps here in Yuma will kill that valve. I'm guessing the underhood temps are more than 150 with engine off let alone running...

$37.xx plus $11.xx shipping gets pretty f***(ng close to $50.

Thanks for your opinions on the subject. I was actually just trying to see if the OPs fix was still working. If I knew how to make the middle finger emoji here you'd get it. Cheers!

I sold my 80 last year, but it was still working great then after 5 years in CO. Can’t believe some folks are reporting long life with the OEM valves. I went through 3 in 5 years before I did this mod, and if I remember correctly, it was a fairly commonplace failure reported here. Great mod for me.

Mainly because spending $50 for a valve that's going to fail in a few years seems dumb if there's a better option.

The last one I bought lasted 8 years, then I sold the LC. Maybe it's still working, but that seemed like it was long enough. My new LX needs one so I just bought the OEM from partsouq for $26.52. Seems reasonable to me.

Recently noticed the replacement diverter valve I installed about ? 8-10 years ago is starting to leak (fluid sometimes coming out the rear spray nozzle when the windshield washer is activated).

Anyone do this mod that can verify length of life? I need to replace my diverter...AGAIN :bang: I use distilled water and have had to replace my OEM diverter every 2-3 years. I think the last one I bought lasted just over a year.

Anyone do this mod that can verify length of life? I need to replace my diverter...AGAIN :bang: I use distilled water and have had to replace my OEM diverter every 2-3 years. I think the last one I bought lasted just over a year.
If you use actual washer fluid, it acts as a lubricant and can extend the life of the components.
Distilled water has no lubricity to it and may a partial cause for early failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom