Replacement FJ62 fuel tank options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know of any replacement '1 size fits all' outside of OEM? Or any alternative tank that would fit without any remodeling?

good used tank would be the only bolt in option

long range tank would go in place but you lose the spare underneath, and not sure what the LRT uses for a fuel pump setup

modded 60 tank for the fuel pump bung or 60 tank with maybe a high preasure inline pump??

what is wrong with your current tank? can it be cleaned and lined? how is the fuel pump bracket?

I highly recommend a long range tank. If you do any camping/off roading having e.g. 40 gallons and 400-500 miles range is such peace of mind.
Mine uses the OEM fuel pump, but the bracket holding the pump is extended and I installed an aftermarket fuel gauge + sending unit. There are ways to make it work with the fuel gauge that's on your dash though.

Just google around, but here is an example:

I got tired of fighting rust, bit the bullet and purchased a long range tank from Mosley Motors last year. Works fine with the stock fuel sender. The tank came with an extension rod for the sender that puts the float at the right length/angle. It also came with new mounting hardware, new vent lines, new filler neck hose and all clamps. If you really plan to keep your truck it is a worthy investment.

My only regret is not buying it several years ago when they were far less expensive.

I also have a good used 60 tank (not the rusty one I replaced with the long range tank). I purchased it from MUD member years ago. It is very clean inside in terms of no rust but I decided not to use it because (1) a mouse had nested in it and I was having hell getting the nest materials out and (2) I have no idea whether this tank is pre-recall or post recall or how problematic the pre-recall tanks really are. I have a 1984 60 with a pre-recall tank that has never had an issue in 175K miles.

I think 62 uses the exact same tank. If you are interested in it shoot me a PM.

I am not real familiar with how the 62 fuel pump mounts in the tank, but it looks like there is a second hole for fuel pump so the 60 tank may not work without some mods.

I am not real familiar with how the 62 fuel pump mounts in the tank, but it looks like there is a second hole for fuel pump so the 60 tank may not work without some mods.

the 60 tank and 62 tank are the same dimensionally outside
the 62 pump mounts to a bracket that drops into the top of the tank and is attached with a bolt flange to the top of the tank
the pump location is in the same location as the 60 series pickup assembly but uses a different bolt rim to mount to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom