Replacement FJ40 Rocker Panels, who needs them? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fourlow&go

@ the speed of plaid
Threads
Having seen what's on the market for replacement panels, and dealing with used ones, from various sources, that may or may not be better than what you already have. I've decided to try and make my own, and I think I may be onto something.

20170125_114435.jpg

While stamping would be the prefered method of reproducing these, that's just not feasible given R&D and tooling costs. So I'm coming at the problem from a different angle. Jig and weld.

The problem with that being, welding sheet metal, and heat distortion. My solution, 11ga / 1/8"

I hand made a set for my '73 40 several years ago and was very happy with how much abuse they could take grinding rocks. No sliders means more clearance, and the double boxed design held up surprisingly well. However, building them by hand was a lot of work and they didn't come out perfect. The next set I made by hand came out much better, and even worked with hard doors, but I always thought I could do better, maybe even produce a few.

Fast forward several years and I now have the time to bring new life into this project. I've invested the time into a jig, for adjustability, repeatability and keeping heat distortion to a minimum.

The boss is back, back to work. More later.

A "Poor Junior" product? ;) I've seen the set-up and product, very beefy, very nice.

At first I thought I could make a pattern and plasma cut them myself. This turned out to be difficult, to say the least. So off to a local guy that has a CNC plasma table. After building a master and mapping it into the program, we started cutting them out.

20170117_165359.jpg

The first set needs some tweaking in the program and I'll be sussing that out this weekend.

20170125_113949.jpg

My plan is to make these as a full replacement for a stock truck, with the option of having them cut short for a wheeling rig as well.
I'm hoping to roll the first batch out in the next couple of weeks, but I need a guinea pig before going full public with this. I need to know that they fit perfect and look the part. I also want these to be able to be installed by your average Joe with basic tools and a small welder. This is where you come in my YT friends. I need a guinea pig.

Do you need rockers? Do you have a early model 40 that is unmolested? Do you have a welder and basic hand tools? Are you willing to install a pair, and most importantly, provide feed back? If so I will provide you with a pair free of charge.

All I ask in return is feed back, public or private, in a somewhat timely fashion. Timely being key as I want to move forward with this.

That said, I will be installing the first set myself on a donor rig before sending a test set out. As we all know 40 bodies are not exactly the best thing Toyota ever built and there are variances. That's why I want to test these out on a few different rigs first.

But have no fear, if the first set I send do not fit I will work with you until they do. At no cost to you, other than time. Absolute worst case is I have your rig towed here to the shop and I finish it for you, I won't leave you hanging with a rockerless truck.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in helping me with, please shoot me a pm.

Thanks,

Junior.

A "Poor Junior" product? ;) I've seen the set-up and product, very beefy, very nice.

Thanks for the props Lane. No "Poor Junior" here. When I hit the market with these it'll be under "KM 10" (I hope) Kilometer Marker 10
A nod to an epiphany I had while travelling through Peru, at, you guessed it, KM 10.

Last edited:
I'd be a guinea pig, unfortunately the 40 has been molested. :eek:

These look great. Wish I had a project to try them on for you.

They look too straight and clean for my truck:hillbilly:
awesome job

Thanks all for the kind words. My guy with the plasma table is a bit of a flake, though he does have a day job, and I didn't get anything done last weekend. I'm meeting with him tomorrow night to do some tweaking. This is his last chance, if he doesn't come through I'll head over to another shop that does laser cutting and is more timely.
I've downloaded a CAD program and have spent the last few nights mapping them myself. Not sure if it'll be better, but at least I can tweak them myself and forward changes in a more timely fashion.
Moving forward.

20170130_232659.jpg

First prototypes are done! They are not finished, but were a test bed for assembly. I'm happy with how they came out, though a few more adjustments are needed. That, getting a few more printed out, and assembly into the first truck should happen this week.

Tell me what you think.

20170204_112534.jpg

20170204_112555.jpg

20170204_112632.jpg

20170204_112855.jpg

Thanks,
Junior

Pretty sweet there Junior!

My guy with the plasma table keeps flaking on me, so I'll be going elsewhere that does laser cutting and hopefully have a faster turn around time. In the mean time a TIG welder has been purchased, though I'm practicing on a borrowed one until ours shows up, and my first attempt shows promise.

20170213_120133.jpg

I did a first fit to a 40, and while not exact, it shows a lot of promise. A few more tweaks and I hope to have a few sets ready to go.

Moving forward,

Jr.

Thanks guys! We've been practicing for the last three nights, used up 80cf of argon, and getting better. Glad to have stepped up to the plate with TIG welding, I think it's a game changer for building theses rockers.

Updated panels are off to be laser cut, they gave me a two week turn around time, so I've two weeks to practice welding.

20170214_140823.jpg

20170214_091558.jpg

This might be the new logo, ha ha!

20170213_180235.jpg

More later.

The laser cutter came through, just picked them up today. They came out great!

20170302_184350.jpg

20170302_184610.jpg

I need to do a few more things on the jig and maybe next week I can start assembling rockers 3.0. Here's hoping the third time is the charm!

Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom