replacement 24V alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 1988 BJ74 with 13BT and power steering.
i am looking to buy a replacement alternator, Toyota part number 27030-56320. External regulator.
Parts catalog shows 2 possibles but the number shown above is for power steering truck.
MegaZip website says they have it but I am doubtful.

Searched MUD for that part number and nothing good came up.
Anyone been down this road before?
Thanks.

None are available any more from Toyota in 24V iterations this old. You might be able to source, at best, something from a Coaster bus, a Dyna or other commercial application in 24v flavor.

Your options are:

1. Rebuild what you have
2. Find used
3. Aftermarket.

Or, go to an internally regulated from a different vehicle and fabricate a custom mount for it and then divorce the vacuum pump from the alternator to a stand alone unit.

Thanks.
I would love to get it rebuilt but for some reason I have not found a shop that is willing and confident.
Used may be the way to go at this point if I cannot find a shop.

Not cheap but here is an option based off the p/n you provided (using a proxy service like buyee or something like that). Not sure how the core part can be handled.....that part I never done.

RAPリビルトオルタネーター TYA009A 純正品番27030-56320 :RATN2507:NET 部品館 - 通販 - Yahoo!ショッピング - https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/net-buhinkan/ratn2507.html

alt.JPG

I did some searching in Japan with the JAUCE service but nothing came up.

Proxy people in Japan say the Core Return prevents me from using that as an option.
The fine print says if the core is not returned they will add $800 to the cost. Too expensive for a rebuild.

MegaZip confirms that their catalog should not show the alternator I need... it does not exist, as Onur stated above.

Proxy people in Japan say the Core Return prevents me from using that as an option.
The fine print says if the core is not returned they will add $800 to the cost. Too expensive for a rebuild.

That sucks. I apologize that my suggestion was a complete dead end. I think there is a guy here on mud that rebuilds them but his user name escapes my head at the moment.

If nothing else your lead showed me that the Jauce proxy service is not so comprehensive.
FJ60CAM used to rebuild them but is not doing that now.

I have carried the alternator to 3 shops so far. 1 guy did not want to even try, another said he would try but that it might take months. Both those shops lacked computers and the internet. A 3rd shop has it now but they say they cannot find parts and don't even want to start.
I have called 2 shops in other states that claim to be able to restore antique auto electrics, but they both declined after I gave them the Denso and Toyota part numbers.

I am not sure if this is a parts supply problem or a lack of willingness.

I did send one to a shop here in Quebec last year, first tought they would be hesitant but the guy was happy to have one of those 24v alt and starter!
I then rebuild two other myself. I ordered a 24v ext reg rotor in Europe. Change the oil seal with a generic. I think brushs shouldn't Be hard to find. Use to be an old man who rewinded rotors and stators but he stopped last year.

FSM says pretty much all you need to check...

If I'll send one to a shop, I would ask to grease the bushing since they bench test it with no oil supply.
They do not check the vac pump. Good to look at the check valve.

Raddcruiser sell a new 24v ext reg for 2h but he list it for 3B as well, need some modif.
Looks like to me that this alt use two ball bearing, so no bushing at rear end (I may be wrong).

I have a new OEM voltage regulator. Strangely, it was available at a Toyota dealer 75 miles from here.

If I can't find a good shop I will attempt to repair it myself.
One obstacle is the parts catalog shows more than one version of certain parts and without more clues I would not know which is correct for my device.

I now have a Chinese alternator in hand.
OEM vacuum pump seems to fit just fine.
Need to make sure oil lines will hook up to OEM.
Still hoping I will find a shop to rebuild OEM alternator.
alternator chinese (13).JPG

alternator chinese (12).JPG
alternator chinese (3).JPG

Closer inspection revealed a marred surface where the copper sealing washer for the oil feed will lie.
Took the whole thing to a machine shop to get that surface re-dressed.

1640120350480.jpeg

Here is the link for alternator I bought from China. China alternator
Cost with shipping to USA = $256.
Local machine shop re-machined the damaged sealing surface for $20: machinist thinks the damage was done on purpose to discourage rebuilding.
This makes sense because this unit is exactly like my OEM Denso alternator.
Maybe in China someone is digging through the junk pile and rebuilding discarded alts.

Installed.
IMG_2118.JPG

Here is the link for alternator I bought from China. China alternator
Cost with shipping to USA = $256.
Local machine shop re-machined the damaged sealing surface for $20: machinist thinks the damage was done on purpose to discourage rebuilding.
This makes sense because this unit is exactly like my OEM Denso alternator.
Maybe in China someone is digging through the junk pile and rebuilding discarded alts.

Installed.
View attachment 2874023
did this alternator work out for you? Was it actually 35A? I could use an upgrade. Thanks!

After I got the damaged spot professionally milled flat, yes the alternator worked.
I am 90% sure it was from an 12H-T engine since the mounting "ears" were clocked differently than my original.
I don't know how many amps it puts out. My dash gauge shows something like 28V.
A brand new external regulator meant for a 13B-T BJ74 worked properly with the alt right out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom