Replaced seals in fuel pump - Air in lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
dumb.org
The shaft on my injector pump's volume arm was leaking lots of diesel, so I got in and replaced the o-ring and seal on the body of the injector.

However, I can't get air out of the lines. It was running like a top before I did this, so I'm kicking myself right now. This injector doesn't have the primer like older 3B injectors did.

Can anyone make a suggestion or perhaps let me know if there's a primer on here I'm unaware of?

Thanks.

1580061298654.png

1580061323117.png

just wrote you a write up on how to bleed air from the system, then realized I didn’t understand the question. Did your pump loose it’s prime and you’re just looking for the primer?

When I pulled the pump apart to replace the seals, I assume all pressure was released and it was no longer primed at all.

I'm getting fuel flow through the return lines. I can't get anything to flow out of the injector lines.

To be clear: Everything was running perfectly yesterday before I replaced the seals.

Looks like you have the rotary style pump, in which case the primer should be a black button on top of the fuel filter. It also has a fuel cut off solenoid unlike the in-line style 13bt that uses vacuum to shut the car off. So if there’s no power to the pump (the key is not tuned on) the injectors will never get fuel. If the car is on and you’re still not getting fuel to the injectors, then it’s likely that the solenoid is bad.

TL;DR: Remove the idle mixture screw when replacing the top of a diesel fuel injector pump.

When replacing the top of the injector unit initially, I bent the idle mixture armature. The idle screw pushed into it and bent it sideways.

I got it running. I was able to bend the armature back into place without breaking it off. I had to remove the idle screw assembly entirely when replacing the top of the injector pump. Once the pump top was sealed, I put the idle screw back in place where it was before. I was able to crank it after a few tries and it spewed heaps of black smoke. WAY too rich.

I pulled the lock nut out, then turned out the idle screw about four extra threads worth; double what it was defaulted to. That means the armature inside leans a lot closer to the edge of the housing.

After about ten minutes of on/off, I was able to get it running smoothly. I adjusted the idle stop, and idle mixture screws a few more times. I'm still getting a little bit of white smoke, but not a whole lot. I can play with this over the next few days, but I'm no longer stuck.

Biggest thing I need to think about is how that metal on the armature is going to fatigue over time. With the stress cracks, it will eventually fail. Thankfully, I have bought myself time. I can find a used/rebuilt Denso injector pump for this truck for a lot less than what I would pay to get a new one in a rush. I can rebuild the one I've got and sell it for a big chunk of my cost and call it good.

What a pain in the dick. All of this resulted from a $13 set of gaskets, o-rings, and crush washers

TL;DR: Remove the idle mixture screw when replacing the top of a diesel fuel injector pump.

When replacing the top of the injector unit initially, I bent the idle mixture armature. The idle screw pushed into it and bent it sideways.

I got it running. I was able to bend the armature back into place without breaking it off. I had to remove the idle screw assembly entirely when replacing the top of the injector pump. Once the pump top was sealed, I put the idle screw back in place where it was before. I was able to crank it after a few tries and it spewed heaps of black smoke. WAY too rich.

I pulled the lock nut out, then turned out the idle screw about four extra threads worth; double what it was defaulted to. That means the armature inside leans a lot closer to the edge of the housing.

After about ten minutes of on/off, I was able to get it running smoothly. I adjusted the idle stop, and idle mixture screws a few more times. I'm still getting a little bit of white smoke, but not a whole lot. I can play with this over the next few days, but I'm no longer stuck.

Biggest thing I need to think about is how that metal on the armature is going to fatigue over time. With the stress cracks, it will eventually fail. Thankfully, I have bought myself time. I can find a used/rebuilt Denso injector pump for this truck for a lot less than what I would pay to get a new one in a rush. I can rebuild the one I've got and sell it for a big chunk of my cost and call it good.

What a pain in the dick. All of this resulted from a $13 set of gaskets, o-rings, and crush washers

Glad you got it figured out and are back on the road!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom