replaced rear rotors - 3 issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok - rebuilt rear calipers and replaced rear rotors tonight and have 3 questions:

1) while removing rear right rotor i saw a fifth of the circular piece of cardboard gasket from behind the hub flange that came off like it got stuck/pukled off when i removed the rotor. how converned should i be? how easy/hard to replace? is this a safety issue?

2) sliding pins on bottom (with bushings) were a little tougher o slide than tops - is that normal? even after thorough cleaning and relubing. wouldn't call them seized - i anything maybe the rubber had swelled? bought aftermarket replacements i needed (readily available) but if it's normal id rather keep oem pins on?

3) ok - what i was really concerned with - put everything back together and now parking brake is stuck on? actually parking brake light is stuck on - not sure if it's the sensor or the brake itself stuck but wasn't sure what i could have done while working on rear rotor that would cause this? anything obvious to check?

thanks y'all. no power and only get internet at restauarant so my searching skills are handicapped on the iphone... any help appreciated.

i should add - planning to do front rotors and calipers tomorrow and the heading on long family trip so ime is of essence for me :(

also - not sure how many have rebuilt their calipers. overall it's pretty easy except geting the damned piston boot seated in the bore groove and then on the piston itself - that was a real bitch. must be a trick to it. i tried putting it on piston first but then was concerned id have to use screwdriver to seat the seal and how would i know its seated. tried seating in bore groove first and then its jut hard to finagle the boot around the piston with lubed slippery fingers tryingto hold the boot open and get it around the piston ... also without bead blasting the damned caliper it's hard to keep all the important stuff free of brake dust crud... will strongly consider new next time. not lookin forward to the fronts with so many more pistons - so if anyones got a tip lemme know!

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Last edited:
For issue number 3, did you follow what the FSM instructed about rolling that little dial til you couldn't pull the rotor off and then backing it off 8 clicks?

For issue number 3, did you follow what the FSM instructed about rolling that little dial til you couldn't pull the rotor off and then backing it off 8 clicks?

For the remove/replace disc part of the job, the only thing I see in the FSM is "HINT: If the disc cannot be removed easily, turn the shoe adjuster until the wheel turns freely. "

I think you're referring to the letter f n g in this section. I didn't even look at it b/c I didn't think I'd need to adjust parking brake shoe clearance just for rotor replacement. Is it normal to have to perform this adjustment after new rear rotors?

1. ADJUST PARKING BRAKE SHOE CLEARANCE​
(a) Disconnect the parking brake cable from the bellcrank.
(b) Remove the 2 bellcrank tension springs.
(c) Loosen the bellcrank adjusting bolt.
(d) Temporarily install the 3 hub nuts.
(e) Remove the hole plug.
(f) Turn the adjuster and expand the shoes until the disc
locks.

(g) Return the adjuster 8 notches.
(h) Install the hole plug.

having just done this last weekend, i will agree that YES, you have to follow this procedure otherwise your parking brake will not be adjusted properly. also, don't forget to pull the rubber boot of the slide pins over the caliper to seat the rubber in the little groove (to keep the schmutz out).

highonpottery said:
having just done this last weekend, i will agree that YES, you have to follow this procedure otherwise your parking brake will not be adjusted properly. also, don't forget to pull the rubber boot of the slide pins over the caliper to seat the rubber in the little groove (to keep the schmutz out).

thanks for confirmation! Was afraid maybe i mucked something up.

yep - got the slide pin boots all seated proper on bolt head and caliper side, and piston boots seated proper.

fwiw, finished ps front caliper earlier today and it was actually easier than i thought itd be bc the piston boots dont seat inthe bore, they have a ring go round the top outer lipe of the bore so it's a breeze once you figure out how to pop out all 4 pistons at once ;)

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

fwiw - after a little driving it looks like it went away. Now when I release the brake the light goes off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom