Replaced diesel injectors now Beast wont turn over. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I need some help to understand why Beast wont turn over.

I've replaced the diesel injectors because one had a leak in it. I spent this morning putting it all back together again. The car sat apart for about 2 weeks while I found the correct injectors.

I've had the key on the accessories (not cranking) for 10 seconds at a time to prime the fuel. When I try to crank the engine it wont turn over.

Battery volts are sitting at 12.3. Theres power to the fuel cut-off solenoid. The fuel rails went on in the correct order and torqued to specs. The injectors were torqued to the correct specs.

I'm not sure what else I should try. I've read that there could be a need to take the fuel rails off one at a time and crank it til fuel comes out but i'm not sure how to go about this and cant find any information online about it.

Which engine?
On 1HD-FT there's more things you could mess up replacing the injectors than 1HD-T or 1HZ.

What do you mean by "won't turn over"? To most people it means that the engine is physically seized, but by your description i think you may mean that it cranks but won't start. These two issues require different troubleshooting steps. Both are simple on mechanical diesels..

Also, key in "accessory" position won't prime the fuel on these engines. The fuel pump is mechanical and won't work at all without the engine cranking/running. You prime the fuel by pressing the the primer plunger on top of the fuel filter until significant resistance is felt.

Agreed with above.

After pressing the have primer (10-20 times until it's firm).
It will still take some cranking of the engine until the injection pump is fully primed, and up to pressure.
It might need 30 second to a minute of cranking to prime the pump and injectors.

If it's still not starting, (unlikely to be needed if you've only changed injectors) loosen the compression fitting where the injector line is bolted to the injector. Loosen it enough so the fuel line is loose on the injector, but still attached.
Start be loosening just one.
Crank again until fuel spits out around the injector line.
Once you see fuel spitting out, you can see the injector pump is primed again, and you should be ok to tighten the fitting, and try starting again.

I see this every now again with folks new to Toyota diesels. They seem to not know about the primer or just don’t prime anywhere near enough.

I see this every now again with folks new to Toyota diesels. They seem to not know about the primer or just don’t prime anywhere near enough.
You are very correct. I certainly didn't prime it anywhere near enough.

Good news is it now turns over! I noticed a leak coming from the injection pump body. What should I do next? I think i should take off all the injection pump assembly and refit them in case it didn't go on square last time.

I've owned 6 or 7 diesels prior and this was my first with a primer. So I can see that as fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom