Replaced Diaphram b diesel, now no "giddyup"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, so I decided to dive right in and change my Diapragm on my 80 B diesel. Was a bit frustrating but managed to get it in there, slowly and patiently. Okay, so it's it. Everything is back where it should be.
It fires up and runs, however when I step on the accelerator it "bogs" and sometimes even stalls before the RPM's pick up. Any suggestions? Aside from messin' with the idle set screw, is there something I am missing?
I went through my engine manual (from OEM toyota) and I am wondering if it's the altitude compensator. When I blow into the clear vacuum hoses there is full resistance.
I am thinking this may be something simple, however frustrating.

Thanks gang!

Did the spring go back in? Both hoses to the intake connected? And was the diaphragm causing problems before you changed it?

No progress.. ? I would take the governor housing back off and ensure the diaphragm and spring are seated correctly.. especially if you definitely have both hoses from the throttle body back on..

No progress.. ? I would take the governor housing back off and ensure the diaphragm and spring are seated correctly.. especially if you definitely have both hoses from the throttle body back on..
I was in the garage the last few hours. I pulled the governor apart again, double checked the spring and put it all back together. Will have to road test it in the AM. I think it's possibly the DAC may need an adjustment, or the EDIC may need an adjustment. Or possibly there is something goofy with how I installed the Diaphragm.

When I did my pump diaphragm the first time I put the retaining clip on in the wrong position. It will go back together fine, like it's supposed to work that way but the clip interferes with rack travel. I had the same problem, bogging and barely enough umph to work it's way up to 4th gear on flat ground.

When I did my pump diaphragm the first time I put the retaining clip on in the wrong position. It will go back together fine, like it's supposed to work that way but the clip interferes with rack travel. I had the same problem, bogging and barely enough umph to work it's way up to 4th gear on flat ground.

I think that might be the answer. Is there a photo floating around somewhere that indicates the correct "arrangement?" I found a few photos but I am not sure if the images are upside down or inverted.

Is this useful to you?

DiaphragmRepl.jpg

:beer:

Alright, another two hours in the garage tonight getting the diaphram in. It seems like it went in quite well. I actuate the rod,/lever and there is a smoother movement than the first three times I installed it... :mad:
It's too late to fire it up, so it will need to wait until tommorrow:popcorn:
Thanks for the help guys.

Stay tuned for the details....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom