Replace wheel bearings when replacing new front rotors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Probably a noob question but since I have to remove the front bearings to replace the rotors, should I replace the bearings too, or just clean and repack with lube? anyone know the size of the axle nut? Is that a special part/tool I need to order?

how often should I repack the front bearings? I have 170k and off-roading consists of exploring FS roads and easy trails.

And tips are welcome!

Examine, then clean and repack if you don't see anything off. Unless they've been loose, they're likely fine. 30K is the recommended service interval.

Axle nut is 54mm IIRC. Local parts places might have it, but you'll need that and a scale to set preload when you put it all back together. And hub gaskets, and the axle end C-clips for the right size, etc.

Quick call to Cruiser Outfitters will get you sorted for parts, and @2001LC has a few threads (and videos on Youtube) with the process.

Examine, then clean and repack if you don't see anything off. Unless they've been loose, they're likely fine. 30K is the recommended service interval.

Axle nut is 54mm IIRC. Local parts places might have it, but you'll need that and a scale to set preload when you put it all back together. And hub gaskets, and the axle end C-clips for the right size, etc.

Quick call to Cruiser Outfitters will get you sorted for parts, and @2001LC has a few threads (and videos on Youtube) with the process.

Thank you! I appreciate the info and will checkout those resources. Cheers!

there's a lot of little details to get right. my bearings were lose, and claw washer scored (not reusable) even my lock nuts were ruined by previous owners use of chisel and hammer to remove lock nuts. this all resulted in ruining my driver side cv shaft which caused a clunk. but mu bearings themselves where still likely fine. my build thread tells the highlights of what is needed without going into too much detail. for details, watch the videos by 2001LC. i link to some in my thread. i also have part numbers in that thread. this is an important and all too often overlooked process to get right.
starts at post #10

Inspect the bearings and if no scar marks, repack. Those roller bearings can run and run.... until wheels fall apart. If you want to install new bearings, go with OEM TIMKEN only. Cruiser Outfitters has those. Never go on other brands if you plan to drive easy 100K miles. The OEm toyota beains are the best you can find on planet Earth! I deal with Toyotas since 1990: 1990 Hilux got oem front beaings still! my car 92 corolla with 280K miles got OEM bearings all around and still no play even today!

Last edited:
if you change bearings be sure to change races too. you have to drive them out and new ones back in. the big bearing doesn't come automatically with a race. has to be ordered separately. the small one is "set 47"

Good info and tips here by members, the main thing is if your bearings are smooth and not marked or scored and your hubs aren't loose when you disassemble them, then they shouldn't need to be replaced, just cleaned and serviced.

My 06 LC has the original bearings at 235K miles, just cleaned and repacked them recently when performing a brake job, using Redline CV-2 grease, I serviced them at ~120,000 miles the last time....

The super high temp CV-2 grease makes a big difference for longer service intervals, as it doesn't overheat and get hard, turn to crud, etc.; also, I drive highway miles, 25-35K a year, so it is always up to temp and driven steady at 70mph+.

I expect these bearings will last the life of the truck.... hopefully 500K+ miles with mostly highway driving I do.

I recommend buying new lock nuts and new clips each time you take them off, as mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom