Replace VIN plate? Missing/damaged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone! My truck was stolen in Nov 2019 and recovered Feb 2020 with:
•Engine bay VIN plate missing.
•Door VIN plate torn out of rivets and very bent (pic coming soon)
•Dash VIN is intact with no probs
Is there a company that re-creates these vin tags, or maybe that can refurbish the damaged one I have?
Do you think I would be looking at any possible legal trouble for attempting to fix these tags, re-create them, or just drive without them?
I have heard the VIN is also etched into the frame (pass side front?) so I'm assuming it is ok to drive the way I have the truck, but I think if I ever want to sell this is going to be a negative for at least some buyers. I'm in CA if that matters.

Thank you all for your time!

Last edited:
Tampering with the vin tags is a big nono i would contact state police before attempting to recreate anything
Tommy

Tampering with the vin tags is a big nono i would contact state police before attempting to recreate anything
Tommy
I definitely have considered this, but isn't it possible they throw some BS "this vehicle can't be driven" crap at me since one of the plates is missing, and then seize it? I didn't have full coverage on the truck and the cops returned it to me in this condition so I guess maybe not. There was a bunch of what looked like stolen goods in it too though, this particular dept isn't the best. I know you can remove and reattach vin plates for paint/restoration purposes but it is frowned upon and I think some states require inspection or something like that.

My data id plate craft and work shop is on temporary hiatus

the COVID 19 took the life of the elderly owner
If the engraving shop I have worked at part time for
Almost 6 years strong

his adult 2 children had a very shady in my opinion fire sale and sold the building and property and then Off ,d all the equipment to another Anonymous
Out of state buyer including the radically advanced 3 million Cnc engraving digital machine and the all coveted black octopus ink application process printing and graphics press also

I have been so very glum about it all for the last 2 + weeks 😔

My life’s passion to be as very very period correct
As humanly possible With what sorta started my quest I find myself striving for and gives my a drive to Pull ideas regarding NLA / discontinued needed parts solutions

that data plate and ID service thread that @cruiseroutfit Kurt Helped me along and develope was my first real taste of the freedom
To create and push my artistic limits each day a bit further always ...

I consider myself blessed to have had the experience and the support of so many mud members at all times ...

this Past holidays as I purged my desk of the year gone by paper work I found my self counting all the
Countless red ink hand drawn proofs so many had had the chance to help me create

I stopped counting them at well very personal
# , I realized I had had a very rare opertunity to have
My required short and some times not so short live call and meet and talk live with several hundred fellow members Over the years

This is what I want to pull away with if I cannot
Find a new engaging shop the can meet and exceed my attn to period correct PLANT A11 Details that I became so very focused on .......

Sorry to let loose but I feel it is time to face
The possibilities my gallery in the small buisness section may never open doors in the way it was for so very long ...

kindly Matt

Hi everyone! My truck was stolen in Nov 2019 and recovered Feb 2020 with:
•Engine bay VIN plate missing.
•Door VIN plate torn out of rivets and very bent (pic coming soon)
•Dash VIN is intact with no probs
Is there a company that re-creates these vin tags, or maybe that can refurbish the damaged one I have?
Do you think I would be looking at any possible legal trouble for attempting to fix these tags, re-create them, or just drive without them?
I have heard the VIN is also etched into the frame (pass side front?) so I'm assuming it is ok to drive the way I have the truck, but I think if I ever want to sell this is going to be a negative for at least some buyers. I'm in CA if that matters.

Thank you all for your time!

what year and model is your truck ?

sorry if i missed that fact ?

Hey Matt, sorry to hear about those unfortunate recent events.

My truck is an '83 FJ60

thanks !

i have several different styles of a USA-Spec FJ60 engine bay plates , I never made enough to actually break TOYOTA's Secret Code if you will on why there were

both subtle differences and in some cases very different styles of plates on same model years FJ60 ? 8/80-9/87

i can assume Canada Spec. played a small role in this but .......?

1593224789929.png

F1F46AC6-BB1C-4CE4-B51C-BDCEC63CC13E.jpeg
CCFDAF79-8181-4C96-B486-97501B359755.jpeg
DEDCA045-A126-431F-8FE1-C1D95EF98307.jpeg

Last edited:
i have several different styles of a USA-Spec FJ60 engine bay plates , I never made enough to actually break TOYOTA's Secret Code if you will on why there were
Luckily I photographed the missing vin plate when I bought the truck! I don't have a photo of the b-pillar plate but I still have that it is just bent/damaged. I'll PM you if that's alright.

Luckily I photographed the missing vin plate when I bought the truck! I don't have a photo of the b-pillar plate but I still have that it is just bent/damaged. I'll PM you if that's alright.

yes please do

it’s getting. ........ in here .

You can actually petition Toyota and get a new one.

You know, if you want to be legal and all.

Do you know if these replacements are to original spec? Im thinking they'd be some sort of generic replacement plate so this is probably my 2nd option. Would that be through TSB-0304-17 ? From what I am reading it discusses 'your dealer account' and seems like I need to go to my dealer rather than directly to Mr T ?

Do you know if these replacements are to original spec? Im thinking they'd be some sort of generic replacement plate so this is probably my 2nd option. Would that be through TSB-0304-17 ? From what I am reading it discusses 'your dealer account' and seems like I need to go to my dealer rather than directly to Mr T ?

i have spent countless man hours, researching the whole " Local Dealership " contact for a replacement Aluminum DATA ID Plate Topic of any kind or sort . For the past 6 years approx.....

i has NOT existed and Does NOT exist Now either , over this time period ? this is a set of Facts i can back up 100% in both Reply Emails
From TOYOTA Motor Sales , LTD USA , and also Print Media paper Reply Letters i requested they Provide me on the matter while i continued
to dig ever deeper into the topic ,.
and i dug deep as CRAP too !

I refer to when i Escalated My Case to The Top-Dog in Customer Total Satisfaction and Service Level in Torrance Headquarters at the Time.
I also had the Chief Of Operations for the USA, based T-TEN Technicians Program working with me in tandem on the Topic as well .

He pressed internally regarding this and came up DRY as well ?

now they have relocated to a new Gulf States Region TX, location , West Plano i believe ...?

if such a Factory Based and Supported Dealer Ship Level DATA ID Plate Replacement Program has existed in the past or does indeed exist currently today to help and assist @David8703 , then David both deserves to know and its our duty as MUD members to post such relevant information to assist him in any way we can either though this Public viewing platform Thread or through a PM ...

its as simple as that !

matt

Did a Body swap, frame has the actual VIN (Stamped on frame, Passenger front). Body purchased with Title, now on frame. Hot Rod's do very similar swaps all the time. How do they get a clean title and VIN number ? They are selling at auctions !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom