Replace transfer output high gear H55F split case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
I'm stripping down an H55F and have the transfer case and internals in pieces. I have not yet pulled the output shaft bearings so cannot see the state of the gear bushings (I assume they are bushed but ultimately don't know their provenance as the vehicle originally had an H41 and has a manual style front transfer case half but a vacuum style rear transfer case half).

I have measured thrust clearances but dont have access to a vice and dial indicator to check oil clearances yet.

Anyway, the thrust clearance on the low gear (the bigger one) is like new at 0.15 mm, but on the high gear it's a hair below 0.35 mm (the feeler almost goes in) which is over the 0.25 mm limit in the FSM.

More worrying, if I grab the gear with both hands and rock it, like I'm checking a wheel bearing, there is what I would consider a lot of movement.

I'm not spending any money until I've pulled the bearings and can check the shaft and gears, but given that both the bush and the thrust faces appear to be worn, I plan to replace the gear with a new one.

My question - Is a new gear in a worn gear set likely to make extra noise, or cause other problems?

Thanks

EO

Last edited:
So today I measured the oil clerances on the shaft. Low gear is fine at around 0.075 mm, but the high gear is way out, 0.25 mm or so, when the limit is 0.081 mm.

So, unless it's the shaft itself that is worn (on the thrust surface of the high gear), it looks like I need a new gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom