Replace Spare Tire Carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So we're moving to Kansas and planned on driving. I haven't had a spare in the 4 years I've owned the truck. I didn't feel comfortable going that far without one so decided to buy a spare. (ended up getting a stock set of 18's with Michelin tires for $100!) I took a look under the truck and noticed my carrier looked "wrong". So I look on YouTube and 1. See how it's supposed to look, and 2. See a guy totally mounting his tire wrong. I'm thinking this is why my truck never had the spare on it and why the carrier was broken. Probably mounted it wrong, overtightened it and it fell off!

So I put together this video for anyone who needs a replacement. Good news is the newer carrier doesn't have a lock on it anymore. Hope this helps someone! Any questions feel free to ask!

So we're moving to Kansas and planned on driving. I haven't had a spare in the 4 years I've owned the truck. I didn't feel comfortable going that far without one so decided to buy a spare. (ended up getting a stock set of 18's with Michelin tires for $100!) I took a look under the truck and noticed my carrier looked "wrong". So I look on YouTube and 1. See how it's supposed to look, and 2. See a guy totally mounting his tire wrong. I'm thinking this is why my truck never had the spare on it and why the carrier was broken. Probably mounted it wrong, overtightened it and it fell off!

So I put together this video for anyone who needs a replacement. Good news is the newer carrier doesn't have a lock on it anymore. Hope this helps someone! Any questions feel free to ask!

Very helpful, thank you! Can you post a link to where you bought the replacement carrier? Mine has a frozen lock.

Very helpful, thank you! Can you post a link to where you bought the replacement carrier? Mine has a frozen lock.
Thanks for the kind words and no problem! I got mine from Bell Lexus on eBay. They have a ton of them and I needed one fast. Here's the link: TOYOTA OEM FACTORY SPARE TIRE CARRIER 1998-2007 LAND CRUISER | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/232496462472?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I saw some for a little over $90; but they ship form Japan and they only had a few. I feel like getting it from Bell would be safest even though the cost is 50% more.

I have one with the key coming out of a truck, probably next weekend. Zero rust and working condition. Removing bcos of a LRA aux tank install

I have a bigger issue - my locking carrier will not budge. I can’t reach the bolts to remove the carrier from the top or the cross member it is attached to. I’m thinking of cutting the cable and then replacing the whole unit. Thoughts?

@Asanka - I’m interested in your carrier. Do you have the acorn insert? How much do you want for it? PM me if easier.

I have a bigger issue - my locking carrier will not budge. I can’t reach the bolts to remove the carrier from the top or the cross member it is attached to. I’m thinking of cutting the cable and then replacing the whole unit. Thoughts?

@Asanka - I’m interested in your carrier. Do you have the acorn insert? How much do you want for it? PM me if easier.
That’s what I did. Mine was frozen shut. I stacked some recycling bins and blocks of wood so the tire wouldn’t fall too far. I then maneuvered under there with a Dremel tool and cut the cable. Once you do that you can access the bolts that hold the old unit in. Might need to hit them with a shot of PB blaster first.

that's what I did on mine, luckily I had a spare to replace it with.

What is acorn insert? sorry, not familiar. I'll IM you once I pull it out, planning to do coming weekend.

What is acorn insert? sorry, not familiar. I'll IM you once I pull it out, planning to do coming weekend.

It’s the “key” that attaches to the end of the jack handle and unlocks the carrier.

It’s the “key” that attaches to the end of the jack handle and unlocks the carrier.
Ah, yeah have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom