Replace radiator as PM? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 91 has 168,000 on the clock. Seems like from all I read the radiator is nearing the end of it's life? Should I wait for a blow out/ leak or replace it now? I'm keeping the LC long term. Thanks

Buy the new radiator, and sit on it till needed. I have 190k+ on my original 96.

A lot of it just depends on how it's been treated over the years, if it's overheated, how much sludge is possibly built up on the inside, if you've ever overheated and how often, and if anyone has ever sat/stepped on it while working on the engine. If its not leaking, look at other maintenance items that need to be taken care of such as fluids, seals, gaskets, exhaust leaks, sensors, axle/driveshaft/ujoints, etc...

If you can see clean when you pop the cap and no problems - NO. That's just a PM to far for me.

Mine is perfect functionally, but the crimp seam is weeping so it's coming out soon.

I agree on the history dictating what you do, but that's a good radiator compared to the later alum 2 row jobs - those early 80's got the brass 3 row & is a common swap for newer 80's when they pop the cheaper late radiators.

If this is just a simple PM issue, no - I would keep what you have, it's the better radiator than the later dual cam motor 80's got - the build quality of whatever you buy could very well be less than the one you are running - so if you are bent on getting a new one, make sure it's the identical part number so you don't get a cheaper later one that's a Toyota part, or even worse a cheapo no-namer from Pep Boys, etc.

:::Edit - I do agree with Michael, if you are rich enough to just buy & warehouse a extra radiator, make sure it's a brass 3-row & just run what you have until it leaks on you & gives a good reason to switch. ::::

Last edited:
Leave it in and have a new one in the garage. 2 cents Mike

going with the buy now build later.
when i bought the beige 80...four years ago the rad was weeping in a few places. bought an oem brass rad shortly after. four years and 40k miles later..I.E early this summer i finally had to do the job. the 80 has over 200k on it, came with full service history...this was the original rad from 93.

Replace radiator as pm, you krazy. My 92 is original, it has 345,000 miles on it, and I plan on doing several 3000 mile trips this winter, towing a trailer. The day it goes is the day I'll worry about it. You can throw out all the comments from the newer LC owners, they really don't apply to you. I would stick with what you got, unless you enjoy throwing junk radiators in your truck every few years.

oh yeah, my rad has only seen green.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom