replace pristine 40th wheels before scratching them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Should I be looking for some different wheels to run on my 40th before I rock rash them? They look brand new and I don't know if the two tone scheme is rare or common. The whole truck looks practically new (just bought it w/94k miles) and the thought of scratching it up makes me un-easy. But being the serial vehicle abuser that I am it's gonna get scratched up. Should I just suck it up re: the wheels also or find some replacements.
I plan on eventually running 35's after mods.
Thanks,
JonB

Sometimes that brand new look on a higher miles cruiser only lasts a few weeks. The used car dealers and good detail guys have some paints that make the wheels and bumpers look immaculate, and little by little it flakes off :crybaby: . I'd wait and see what happens to yours after a good high pressure wash.

Good luck,

David

This thread is useless without pictures. Show us the picture of your 40th and if you don't want to scratch the wheels of when wheelin, I recommend to get a set for that purpose.

My wheels were virtually perfect when I bought my '97. Seemed unnatural on what was becomming a modified 80.

They have now been carved on by some rocks and they look much better.

If your wheels are too clean, folks might mistake you for a poser :)

tarbe said:
My wheels were virtually perfect when I bought my '97. Seemed unnatural on what was becomming a modified 80.

They have now been carved on by some rocks and they look much better.

If your wheels are too clean, folks might mistake you for a poser :)

What I should have asked is "How many of you regret chewing up your nice oem wheels?"

As to pics, it took me so long to post a pic of my truck (resize, reducing file size, etc...) on my first post that I don't like to do it. Time to learn an easier way I guess.
Thanks

If your wheels are too clean, folks might mistake you for a poser

Sort of like when I got a new set of Ice climbing boots...got so much crap until I perposely beat the crap out of them. Then all of a sudden my "local" knowledge went way up and I was respected. :confused: :grinpimp:

The wheels found on the 40th are common to the Collector edition and differ from the standard wheel in "window" accent color only. The main reason you may want to save them is because new replacements are well north of 300 bucks a rattle. Many folks, myself included, have two sets of tires. I have hiway tires in my alloys and a trail set on my steels.

cruiserdan said:
The wheels found on the 40th are common to the Collector edition and differ from the standard wheel in "window" accent color only. The main reason you may want to save them is because new replacements are well north of 300 bucks a rattle. Many folks, myself included, have two sets of tires. I have hiway tires in my alloys and a trail set on my steels.

Cdan,
Thanks, I was trying to get a feel for the value of the wheels. I started searching on how to spec steels but all the variables made my head hurt. But I think I learned that I need to get "hubcentric" and I'm leaning towards 4-4.25 backspacing on an 8" wheel.
thanks,

I saw a 40th '80 yesterday here in FH... just noticed the two-tone for the first time. Very nice :cool: If they were mine I'd want to keep them pristine too...

The easiest way to obtain the correct size steel wheel is to go with the OEM one, 42601-60361. 16x8 0 offset and 4.5 inches backspace.

cruiserdan said:
The easiest way to obtain the correct size steel wheel is to go with the OEM one, 42601-60361. 16x8 0 offset and 4.5 inches backspace.

Quanto dinero, amigo?

Hopefully not 3 Ben's each?!? :crybaby:

jonb96150 said:
Thanks, I'll watch this auction.

Cool, be carefull with those shipping costs though!

If I were to do it all over again, I would've spent the money up front for the wheels I have now and would've saved the OEM for street only use. I banged the hell out of my OEM wheels the first 3 years I used them on the trail.

Not that big a deal, really, but...since you asked if anyone has regrets about thrashing thrashing the OEMs...put me in that category.

I live...I learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom