Replace OME J Front+Rear or just Rear to lower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've come to the conclusion that I need to lower my FJ80. It's just too sketchy on the highway, and it doesn't see many trails that a stock FJ80 couldn't tackle.

The truck has J springs with a 1" spacer up front (bought this way). 33x10.50 on stock wheels (skinny for the height I know... but I had them kicking around). ARB winch bumper up front. Full-size spare. I'm even considering going down to 31x10.50's.

What I've been wondering is... could I just replace the rear 863J springs with 863 or 860 rear springs, and omit the front spacer or am I going to still be too high in the front?

Thanks

Do you have intact sway bars? Do you have caster correction installed? Doing both of those if not done yet would probably net you a much better driving rig than dropping it down an inch.

Yes, the sway bars are installed, and it has a caster correction kit on it.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to lower my FJ80. It's just too sketchy on the highway, and it doesn't see many trails that a stock FJ80 couldn't tackle.

The truck has J springs with a 1" spacer up front (bought this way). 33x10.50 on stock wheels (skinny for the height I know... but I had them kicking around). ARB winch bumper up front. Full-size spare. I'm even considering going down to 31x10.50's.

What I've been wondering is... could I just replace the rear 863J springs with 863 or 860 rear springs, and omit the front spacer or am I going to still be too high in the front?

Thanks

If you take the spacers off and replace the 863J springs with 863, your front will be just about level with the rear. I have 850J with ARB with XD9000 winch, dual batt and 863 rear springs. The rear is still higher than the front.

If you take the spacers off and replace the 863J springs with 863, your front will be just about level with the rear. I have 850J with ARB with XD9000 winch, dual batt and 863 rear springs. The rear is still higher than the front.

Thanks, that's good to hear as it'd be the lowest cost modification.

earl.........also check to see what kind of castor correction was done. If you have OME yellow bushings then that is likely the source of your squirrelliness. The yellow bushings dont provide enough correction for J's much less J's and a spacer combo. If you like the looks and dont mind the size, just want it to drive better, id address the castor issues.

IF you wouldnt mind it being a little lower and dont want to drop a 1000bux on tires every couple years then id say your on the right track. Lose the front spacer and run mediums in back (863). Even w/ the j/med combo you are able to fit 35's and wheel them or fit 33's and not look undersized on the truck. I would not go to 31's just for aesthetics sake.

member Boone is running the 2.5'' lift and 33x10.5's on stock wheels

It does have the yellow OME bushings. The spacer is going for sure, and it looks like 863's are in order. Time to hit up the classifieds to see if someone wants to swap. If not the price of a single pair of springs aren't too bad.

Thanks for the help!

If all you have is the yellow bushings then there is the problem right there. You've got J springs, meaning you're on that threshold of Slee bushings being just enough or having to use caster plates. I hate to say it but swapping springs and loosing a spacer isn't going to do jack for your handling if you've just got those OME bushings.

If all you have is the yellow bushings then there is the problem right there. You've got J springs, meaning you're on that threshold of Slee bushings being just enough or having to use caster plates. I hate to say it but swapping springs and loosing a spacer isn't going to do jack for your handling if you've just got those OME bushings.

Good to know. So I need some Slee bushings or... just switch the whole truck to 850/860 combo.

go for 860 or 863s in the back and ditch the front spacer. should level you out as a level lift consists of 1" higher front than rear.

ive got 850s and 863's if you want to swap? where in AB are you at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom