Replace lift kit with stock suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Team,

Back in 2012ish the automatic suspension went out on my mom's 1999 LX470. She was broke and I wasn't sure what the best options were, but she tends to take the truck off road so I replaced it with a Ironman4x4 2" lift. Honestly it's never seemed that great, too high, too stiff, seems pretty sketchy driving around but was safer than the bottomed out auto stuff. Maybe it wasn't installed correctly though. It's been down for maintenance for a while now, and I'm about to pay for some repairs again (Water pump is leaking). I was wondering what my options would be for returning the truck back to a lower, more stock ride height? Anyone want to trade suspension?

Thanks for the help guys, i'm a total noob at all this. Just trying to get my mom back on the road.

Best,

Joseph

You can just install the OEM Toyota Land Cruiser suspension. Should all be plug and play. Doesn’t sound like your mom needs a lift kit. Most people go with a lift kit after AHC delete to run beefier springs and torsion bars to handle more load from adding steel bumpers, etc. if your truck is stock, you don’t need any of that.

You can just install the OEM Toyota Land Cruiser suspension. Should all be plug and play. Doesn’t sound like your mom needs a lift kit. Most people go with a lift kit after AHC delete to run beefier springs and torsion bars to handle more load from adding steel bumpers, etc. if your truck is stock, you don’t need any of that.

I just looked and I can get stock replacement struts from rockauto for $120. Could I get away with the same year springs from the Land Cruiser? I'm not seeing them on parts sites so I'm guessing I have to go to the dealer for those. I can use the Ironman Torsion bars though right?

For the rare noob that might be in my position of needing to revert back to a more stock setup from a lifted one.

I spoke with Metaltech4x4 and Ironman4x4 today. John over at MetalTech indicated that I could likely replace only the rear springs and adjust the torsion bars down to level it out and be fine. I can likely keep the Ironman shocks unless I don't like the ride feel (May be stiff).

So that sounds like a pretty simple solution. Swapping the springs and adjusting the bars wont be hard. I just need to find some stock replacement springs for a good price or some used stock ones off a LC.

Replacement shocks are only $30-45 per corner if I want/need to do that. I'm just glad to hear I shouldn't need to replace the bars.

Anyone have some spare LC springs I can buy? The prices for new ones seem really high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom