Replace heater tees or whole hose assy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, but it makes people feel good, like doing a water pump with a timing belt, or doing a tensioner with a timing belt, or doing a crankshaft seal with timing belt, or doing a camshaft seal with a timing belt, etc. etc.
AKA.... mission creep... while you're in there... etc.

I don't think I've seen nor heard of a failed T-hose yet.... has anybody?
The fact that they crumble when trying to replace them indicates they are on the road to failing. I've seen a few firsthand testimonies here on mud and on youtube of actual failure. Not a lot in the scheme of things, but a lot of people have also replaced preventatitvely so no saying how many would have failed if left alone. Just not worth the risk to me for like $20 for tees and clamps or $150 for the whole shebang.

I'll post pics after I get my old ones out. Don't think they've been done since new 240k ago. Should be interesting.

One of mine crumbled and started leaking when I jacked up the engine to release a motor mount for replacing the steering rack. Just that small amount of movement brought the problem to the surface. All I can say is I'm glad it happened in the garage instead of me being out somewhere when it crumbled.

I don't think I've seen nor heard of a failed T-hose yet.... has anybody?
Because everyone is still using Toyota hoses. Throw aftermarket hoses on and they’ll be leaking or failing sooner or later...

The fact that they crumble when trying to replace them indicates they are on the road to failing. I've seen a few firsthand testimonies here on mud and on youtube of actual failure. Not a lot in the scheme of things, but a lot of people have also replaced preventatitvely so no saying how many would have failed if left alone. Just not worth the risk to me for like $20 for tees and clamps or $150 for the whole shebang.

I'll post pics after I get my old ones out. Don't think they've been done since new 240k ago. Should be interesting.
I was talking about the rubber hoses... not plastic T's. Definitely lots of plastic T's failing.

I was talking about the rubber hoses... not plastic T's. Definitely lots of plastic T's failing.
Oh ok I gotcha. I was gonna say 😂

No I haven't heard of those failing, so good point. For mine with I can only assume 240k on the tees it's just going to be easier and more peace of mind not worrying about crumbled off pieces finding their way into the system.

Different size clamps? From the diagrams I saw it was just 12 of the same size, P/N 9613652101? And there was a heater hose kit on Wits End for 100 series 2UZ FE which had these 12 as well.

I did see on a different thread these called out, but just looking on my rig they all looked the same to me, so went with the 12 *2101 clamps.
• (8) Hose Clamps (96134-42100) (Horizontal hoses off Tee)
• (4) Hose Clamps (90467-19022) (Vertical hoses off Tee)

What year do you have? I'm wondering if the 98-02 had the two different sizes then in 03 they standardized them?
Btw I ended up just reusing the old clamps. The 2101s didn't seem like the right size for the smaller vertical tubes, and the old ones still seemed to be clamping well. So I figured might as well reuse all of them and return what I bought. Turns out you cant return any individual part worth less than $10... so I'm out about $45 lol. Dumb

When I was under my rig yesterday, I noticed how close to the DS catalytic converter the rear heater hoses are located. Mine look a little swollen, and made weird crunchy noises when I gave them a squeeze. Made me think that it would be a good thing to replace while the coolant is drained, since those hoses are exposed to so much heat from the cat.

Last edited:
When I was under my rig yesterday, I noticed how close to the DS catalytic converter the rear heater hoses are located. Mine look a little swollen, and made weird crunchy noises when I gave them a squeeze. Made me think that it would be a good thing to replace while the coolant is drained, since those hoses are exposed to do much heat from the cat.
Yes. I replaced all 4 of those that are routed above the DS cat.

Yes. I replaced all 4 of those that are routed above the DS cat.
You mean these hoses? There’s two of each of them:
87255C & 87256A = 87245-6A090
87255B & 87256B = 99556-20200
635FC044-F5C8-4CB7-8638-858C7D8B5950.jpeg

2375386E-F4A0-45BA-AB80-02D06F98C7EA.jpeg

561114CD-3167-406D-8216-4D7CB2F6DEFB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom