Replace cupped tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning everyone,

I have falken at3 tires that I purchased in 2015, they have about 75k on them. They are cupped pretty badly, but i have about 30% left treadwise. They are loud but there's very little vibration or wheel shake at higher speeds. Kind of clunky when coming to a stop. I was told not to rotate them a few weeks ago as it would have caused the wheel to shake. Should I replace them or ride them out? Are they safe being so choppy?

You got 75k out of them..... you did great!
Replace them and rotate more frequently.

What if there weren't that many miles? I was told the same thing by Tire Kingdom. Supposedly my rear tires are cupped and they wouldn't rotate, they said it would cause my front to vibrate. I don't really care, if it's not dangerous. I just want to get the most life out of my tires, I usually rotate with the spare.

Tires are Cooper Discoverer RTX.

I'm not sure how significant the degradation of performance is with cupped tires, but I suspect it's significant. That's less contact you've got with the road.

My general rule is to replace after ~50k once I notice cupping or increased tire noise. My last KO2s started to get pretty noisy at 55k.

Also worth noting cupped tires are often either poor manufacturing or worn out suspension. If you have cupped tires, replace your shocks. If you have AHC, check the gradation test and replace globes as needed. Also check bushings. Sometimes a few hundred bucks in worn suspension components can prematurely kill a $1000+ set of tires.

FWIW, I've had manufacturing defects on Coopers and I notice many Coopers on random cars in parking lots that are obviously cupped. They seem to have a tendency to wear poorly over time.

Due to miles I drive per year and various vehicles... cruiser, dually, RX, and now 4runner. I have input on various brands.
The rotation frequency and balance of tires play big role.
All comes down to your personal level of things, noises and whee shake are like anything, subjective.
If your ok with it then live them out... but also it’s something you can help with rotate/balance/alignments.

Replace and keep rotating.

If these tires were newer and were cupping, it would be a good idea to verify serviceability of steering and suspension components and then get an alignment. At 75k you've have a good run on these.

Replace and keep rotating.

If these tires were newer and were cupping, it would be a good idea to verify serviceability of steering and suspension components and then get an alignment. At 75k you've have a good run on these.
Thanks everyone. I had the shocks replaced about 30k after getting the falkens. It pulled to the right for quite some time before I had it aligned a few years back. Going now to get the copper at3 xlts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom